Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lawanwadee Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 124
    Immigration Expert

Jan 29, 2014, 02:03 PM
    How to report 1099-R for nonresident alien
    Dear Experts,

My sister and her colleagues worked for an American company in Bangkok for years, they've never been to US or even have US visa. Business closed down last year and they were all advised to withdraw 401K from Fidelity, which they did.

They applied for ITIN and submitted W-8BEN to Fidelity. Now they received 1099-R with 20% Federal withholding, code 1 on box 7.

Kindly advise how to report 1099-R on 1040NR. Thank you very much.
    taxesforaliens Posts: 649, Reputation: 117

Jan 29, 2014, 02:55 PM
    The distribution would go on line 17a and 17b of form 1040NR.
    Early withdrawal penalty would go on line 56.
    Taxes withheld on line 61
    See the instructions:
    http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1040nr.pdf
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 29, 2014, 03:46 PM
    TaxForAliens has it right.

They MAY have been able to roll the money into an IRA to delay paying taxes and penalties, but it is too late for that now. Sorry!

If they need my professional help, please email me at the email address in my profile.
    Immigration Expert

Jan 29, 2014, 11:40 PM
    Thank you very much..
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 30, 2014, 09:51 AM
    Glad to help!
    IntlTax Posts: 831, Reputation: 23
    Tax Expert

Feb 3, 2014, 05:04 PM
    Section 861(a)(3) provides that compensation for labor or personal services performed in the United States is treated as income from sources within the United States and section 862(a)(3) provides that compensation for labor or personal services performed without the United States is treated as income from sources without the United States.

An employer’s contributions to a pension plan with respect to wages earned abroad by a taxpayer is compensation for labor or personal services performed without the United States and are treated as derived from sources without the United States. See Rev. Rul. 72-149.

However, the "earnings and accretions" (i.e. the earnings on the contributions into the plan) would be U.S. source income.

The foreign source income would not be subject to U.S. tax. Further, there would be no early withdrawal penalty on the foreign source portion because it would not be considered gross income to the nonresident aliens. The U.S. source portion would be subject to U.S. tax at a flat 30% rate, unless the Thailand-U.S. Income Tax Treaty reduces the tax. I have not reviewed the treaty.

These rules and the breakout between the U.S. source portion and the foreign source portion is discussed in Rev. Rul. 79-388.
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 3, 2014, 08:49 PM
    Well done, IntlTax. I learned something today.
    Immigration Expert

Feb 4, 2014, 11:43 AM
    Thank you so much... I truly appreciate your kind assistance.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Nonresident alien and spouse resident alien Married filing jointly [ 2 Answers ]

I'm on F1 visa (non-resident alien) and my spouse is on H-1B visa (resident alien). We are looking at filing our taxes as Married filing jointly. My social security and medicare taxes were withheld. 1)Can I file for the refund of social security taxes withheld erroneously? Would I be treated as a...

Resident Alien / Nonresident alien holding a you.S. Visa ? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi.. I have 2 questions 1# I came to the US with F1 visa in 2006 and graduated in May 2008. From June 2008 to Oct 2009, I was on OPT visa which was considered as F1. Then, my company sponsored me to apply H1-B visa. Now I am on H1-B visa and was wondering that which category I fall to. a....

Do nonresident alien report 1099-G [ 2 Answers ]

I came to the US in August of 2005 on F1 and was F1 till May of 2009 when I changed to OPT and then changed to H1B on Oct 2009. I filed 1040NR last year and claimed the $5000 tax treaty between U.S. and China. I received W2, 1099-INT, 1099-DIV, 1099-B and 1099-G for 2009. I also made donations last...

Resident alien married to Nonresident alien- 1040 details [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I have a straightforward question: I am a resident alien who is married to a nonresident alien. We have one child who is my dependent. I will be filing as head of household and will claim an exemption for my wife (she does not work) and for my child. Do I still need to write my wife's...

Resident alien, nonresident alien or dual status [ 1 Answers ]

Good morning, I arrived in US on Jan 6, 2004 with F-1 visa. I graduated in May 21, 2007. From May 21, 2007 until November 30, 2007 I was with OPT (that is considered still F1) and worked for a company in US. From October 1st until now (2008) I am under H1B visa working for the same company...

View more questions Search