Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mobius_thought Posts: 11, Reputation: 2

Aug 30, 2005, 05:55 AM
    Data Recovery/Go Back ?
    I made the mistake of trusting a program called Go Back which came with the Norton Suite. Had it told me it was compressing my drive, I would've stopped it... but it's too late for that.. the drive is having major problems now, it hasn't been bootable for some time, but any partitioning/formatting software can still see the amount of disk space used. This was my primary data drive, 120G with probably 80-100 Gigs of stuff I REALLY don't want to lose (which is why I never repartitioned it after almost a year).

Is there ANY software that can recover the data?

I'm pretty poor, so if there are options, the cheaper the better..

Thanks in advance!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 30, 2005, 10:30 AM
    If you bought this from Norton, ask them for help. Go to symantec.com
    mobius_thought Posts: 11, Reputation: 2

Sep 3, 2005, 11:16 AM
    Yes and no
    Well, I emailed Symantec, and they replied. My fears were correct. GoBack changes the partition type of the drive, to some format I've never heard of. There is a utility on the disk (which I do still have) that will undo the changes, supposedly reverting the drive back to NTFS or FAT32 (It's been so long, I don't remember). But now I've got a new problem. I have to run this utitity in MS-DOS mode (since the offending HDD has to be a solo drive), but my A: Drive is acting up now. My plan was, then, to make a bootable CD-ROM that would give me a DOS prompt. My understanding was that all you really NEED to get a real mode command prompt is command.com, io.sys, msdos.sys. I put those, plus the GB utility, plus some other DOS utilities (emm386.exe, fdisk, format, himem.sys), and an autoexec.bat file taken from Bootdisk.com's MODBOOT (which looks just fine to me) onto a CD-ROM, and made sure the CD-ROM was set to be the first place BIOS should look for an OS.

But I get nothing, it boots into windows. I figured I'm not going to swap the HDD's out until I see my bootdisk running with the known good HDD still in it.

Any suggestions for making an MS-DOS bootable CD-ROM?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 3, 2005, 04:10 PM
    What version of Windows?
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Sep 4, 2005, 05:55 AM
    Compressed
    Hi,
    I am sure you have thought of this, but I will mention it anyway.
    Have you considered taking your computer to a good computer repair store?
    They could tell you the cost, upfront, of fixing it for you, or at least, getting your files off the hard drive, if possible.
    Please think about doing this, at least find out the cost; you might be able to swing it!
    Best of luck,
    fredg
    excalibur Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 12, 2005, 03:47 AM
    Recover my files
    There is a utility called recover-my-files. I used it to recover a disk that was deemed unreadible by Windows. It has a format recovery option that can rebuild a partition. It was the only program that could get anything from the drive. Best of luck!
    kmzpub Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 20, 2005, 09:51 AM
    Hi,

I can say that Active@ Undelete tool works perfectly in such a situation. It has really great recover methods, really powerful, this utility was always able to restore my info.
    http://www.active-undelete.com/
    yaya1982 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 10, 2005, 08:15 PM
    I suggest you use DataRecoveryWizard to recover you data.

http://www.easeus.com

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dead Hard Drive: Data Recovery Questions [ 3 Answers ]

I have a Dell Dimension 4700 that is less than a year old. Last week I got the error "Unmountable Boot Volume" and after calling Dell tech support I was told my hard drive was dead. A Dell tech came and put a new hard drive in my computer Monday and left the old hard drive with me so I could...

Making a back up of data via internet [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I hope u can help me to find a documentation helping me to make a tele backup. In other way , how to create a virtual server with 2 machines (computers) or more... wich all user can connect to put their backups on this server. On foreground the clients things that they'r saving their...

Data Recovery [ 5 Answers ]

I have a hard drive that crashed, I want to recover files, so a put it on a PC as a slave and able to see the files.the trouble that I'm having is some of the file that I want to access will not let me access them.how do I access these files?

Harddisk data recovery [ 4 Answers ]

Hi I have a hard drive that will not boot into windows anymore but I need some files from it, every diagnostic tool I use says the disk is OK to use, but every piece of software I have tried will only find deleted files and the files I want were never deleted I just can't can't get to them....

Hard Drive Data Recovery Freezing [ 1 Answers ]

Hello all, I have had an unfortunate incident. I woke up Sunday morning to find my main workstation PC with a blank screens and a cursor on the upper left. Fun. From the blue screen it appears that the boot sector somehow decided to go bad. I'll spare you all the details of the 12 hours I have...

View more questions Search