Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CMCM Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 2, 2006, 07:39 AM
    Odor from vent next to kitchen sink faucet
    We have some sort of vent thing on our kitchen sink that has some awful smells coming out of it. The dishwasher drain attaches to it just below the sink at a T. On the other part of the T there is a black rubber hose running back down to the PVC pipe below the disposal and above the trap. Sometimes food from the disposal backs up into there, hence the smell. Anyway, I have tried pouring different cleaning products down it, and it still smells. It's clear of food now, but probably still has residue.

Before I try boiling water or really harsh chemicals, I want to check if that will ruin the hose. It's just a black rubber hose. Can I pour boiling water down it?

Also, could I pour a bunch of bleach into the dishwasher before it's next run, or would that ruin the dishwasher? The hose from the dishwasher is gray plastic and ribbed.

Thanks,

CM
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 2, 2006, 08:02 AM
    CM,
    What you have is called a branch tailpiece,(your tee) there is no vent.
    You say, "On the other part of the T there is a black rubber hose running back down to the PVC pipe below the disposal and above the trap"
    This is wrong. Someone connected a Fernco Neoprene Coupling when there should be a PVC raiser out of the trap connecting to the branch tailpiece with a PVC compression fitting. Romove the "J" bend and the rubber coupling and purchase a new "J" bend. Run a Pvc raiser out of the new trap up past the bottom of the B tailpiece. If the trap's 2" then make the PVC compression fitting 2" with a 1 1/2" gasket. Once you correct the faulty set up you'll have removed the smell. Regards, Tom

Question abt. "Odor from vent next to kitchen sink faucet" answer

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for your answer. I just have a few more questions. To be honest, a lot of your answer went right over my head.

Let me see if I understand. The black rubber hose shouldn't ever have been installed, it should be made of PVC. I need to remove the rubber hose and the J bend which I think is the trap. I need to get a new trap and a PVC raiser and put them in. (What is a raiser?) Why do I need a new trap again? The rubber hose is attached to a straight PVC piece above the trap.

Now, how do I connect the new PVC piece to the branch tailpiece and to the other end? I'm not sure what a compression fitting is. I've never bought or installed any pipes ever.

Thanks for your patience while you walk me through this.

Cara
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 2, 2006, 12:10 PM
    Hi Cara,

I moved your answer from PM back to here. Much easier that way.
    The "J"bend is the curvy part of the trap. The raiser is the PVC pipe that comes out of the trap and connects to the branch tail piece. And look at the image below to see what a compression fitting looks like.
    It goes like this. You will need a "J" Bend in the correct size, (Since you failed to tell me I'm going to assume the pipe size is 2") A piece of 2"PVC pipe long enough to get a few inches up on the tail piece and a PVC 2X1 1/2" slip to compression fitting,( see image) also a small can of PVC cement and a can of PVC Primer. This repair will be very simple. Remove the rubber hose and the " slip to compression fitting,( see image) also a small can of PVC cement and a can of PVC Primer. This repair will be very simple. Remove the rubber hose and the " bend with the PVC raiser. Now glue the piece of PVcinto the bend remembering to prime both the pipe and the hub, also glue both the pip and the hub. Now prime and glue on the compression fitting. Remove the compression nut and gasket and slip them up on the tailpiece. Slip the PVC over the tail piece and tighten the trap nut. Now tighten the compression nut.
    I have just walked you through the enrire process, step by step. Good luck, Tom
    PalmMP3 Posts: 321, Reputation: 28

Mar 3, 2006, 12:43 AM
    Hold it! Stop the presses! I think we have a MAJOR misunderstanding here. I think Cara was referring to a "Dishwasher air gap", which is required by some codes and acts as a "vacuum breaker" for the dishwasher.

I base this assumption on Cara's statement "We have some sort of vent thing on our kitchen sink that has some awful smells coming out of it." As you can see from the diagram below, an air gap device is installed in one of the holes in the sink's faucet deck; hence the appearance of being "on the sink", and not "under the sink".

Here's a diagram of the setup and how it works:

Pictures of actual air gaps:

Cara, does the thing you're talking about look similar to any of the pictures? If it does, forget about buying all those parts you and Tom discussed, and just follow the instructions in this article to clean the air gap thoroughly, and then see if it still smells.

Hey, Tom: If I'm wrong, then I'm terribly sorry for having doubted you; but if I'm right, well... I'm just glad I caught it before our friend Cara was put through a lot of unnecessary hassle. Still, it would be quite a record for me, to beat you at the plumbing game! :D

Cheers,
    Moishe
    Note: if this post was helpful, please rate it by clicking "Comment on this Post" in the upper-right corner of this post. Thank you.
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 3, 2006, 05:42 AM
    Moshie, I don't know what I'd do if I didn't have you around to keep me straight.
    You are correct, it could be a air gap. I missed it because in our area we use drip loops instead of installing a air gap. However, It could still be a branch tee she was referring to.
    Cara, I'm going to put up two images, one a air gap and the other a branch tailpiece. Please tell us which one you have. Again! Thanks for being so sharp Moshie. Tom
    alevit Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 1, 2006, 08:16 PM
    Comment on PalmMP3's post
    Thanks. This is exactly what I needed.
    4cookie Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 23, 2015, 10:04 AM
    OMG it is 2015 and I'm having this problem and that article is no longer available. Can someone tell me how to clean that air vent?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 23, 2015, 10:09 AM
    This should help, after you watch some silly commercial. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmG2JXQL858
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

May 25, 2015, 10:37 PM
    4Cookie,

The best approach is to replace it with new Air Gap and discharge hose. Air Gaps run under $10.00 in Home Depot and a two foot piece of 7/8" hose will run you another $5.00 or so. You can do it yourself.

Milo

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Odor coming from under Kitchen sink [ 73 Answers ]

I have noticed an odor coming from the cabinets where the kitchen sink is. I have looked for any leaks where the sink is, but have not found any. Could the odor be coming from the sewage? How can I tell? If so, then what can I do to get rid of it? Any help would be a appreciated. Thanks.

Odor in kitchen/air-admittance vent [ 1 Answers ]

My husband and I rent and live on the top floor. We were told that we have a sewage vent under our kitchen sink which I can only assume is a air-admittance vent. We have been complaining of a foul odor coming from the kitchen for over a month and the maintenance seems unable to fix anything. ...

Kitchen Sink/Laundry Sink Drain Vent Non-exist [ 3 Answers ]

The set-up from kitchen sink leading down to drain to basement: 1. Kitchen sink - (R side) - connected to a P drain I think you call it -PVC-, connected to a "metal" T, which has a Studer vent gizmo attached to the top of it, then draining into a metal pipe straight down to the drain in the...

Kitchen sink vent [ 4 Answers ]

I have an older house with a kitchen sink and wash machine that use the same drain. After washing clothes or dishes there is a nasty odor that comes from the basement. (I assume where the drain is) There seems to be no vent to the outside ? Does it need one? Does it have to go through the roof or...

Kitchen Sink faucet - odd nut [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I'm new at this so figure I'll just jump right in and be ignorant... We have a kitchen sink faucet (American Standard I think) that seems to have a retaining nut under it that defies logic. I've replaced the faucet, drain, etc in the bathrooms and it was nothing like this. This kitchen...

View more questions Search