Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MeadowlarkJess Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Dec 5, 2019, 12:50 PM
    Friend recently accused of abuse - Friend doesn't remember but owns up anyway
    A dear friend of mine of many years was recently accused by someone I hardly know of having abused this person a long time ago.

This person doesn't remember the accuser or the abuse, but seems horrified by it and is willing to own up to it and wants to identify and stop any abusive behaviours within themselves.

I'm just wondering what I should make of my friend's response is all. She seems Genuine to me and that is what I'm going on at this point.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 5, 2019, 12:56 PM
    What kind of abuse? Physical? Emotional? Sexual?

Dec 5, 2019, 01:06 PM
    Unwanted Attention..... All I (and my friend) can think is that she probably inadvertently flirted with this person..... My friend and I are both Autistic and as such can sometimes be aloof to how our actions might be mistaken for something entirely different by other people.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 5, 2019, 01:22 PM
    How old is your friend and her accuser?

Dec 5, 2019, 01:37 PM
    My friend is 34.... I believe the accuser is about the same age, give or take a year.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 5, 2019, 02:11 PM
    I'm trying to figure out where the abuse is in this. Being guilty of flirting isn't abuse. Good grief! So many guys flirted with me over the years. What am I missing? How is this abuse?

Dec 5, 2019, 02:58 PM
    Same thing I'm wondering, Wondergirl.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 5, 2019, 03:04 PM
    I certainly wouldn't apologize for flirting!

Was the abuse given a name and definition?

Dec 5, 2019, 03:49 PM
    No. The so-called "victim" was extremely vague about what was supposedly done.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 5, 2019, 04:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by MeadowlarkJess View Post
    No. The so-called "victim" was extremely vague about what was supposedly done.
    Then all the more reason your friend need not apologize. I am married to a guy on the autism spectrum and our adult son was diagnosed with Asperger's. I can't imagine what was done that was so "unwanted."

Dec 5, 2019, 04:15 PM
    Y'all have totally missed the point. I wasn't asking if they should apologize. I was asking what I should make of their response to this information.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 5, 2019, 04:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by MeadowlarkJess View Post
    Y'all have totally missed the point. I wasn't asking if they should apologize. I was asking what I should make of their response to this information.
    I would let my friend handle it as she thinks best.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Dec 5, 2019, 06:45 PM
    You make nothing of it unless more is revealed and you gain a better understanding of the whole situation. Realize that may or may not happen, and you will never know what to make of it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why doesn't my best friend want to be my friend anymore? [ 2 Answers ]

I'm in grade 7 and I met my best friend in summer school before school started. I am 12 years old too and so is my best friend. Lets just called her Jane. Jane is a really nice girl (I'm a girl by the way) but she isn't afraid to say what she wants like curse words. She loves hugs and so do I. Last...

Help for my Friend: Accused of Shoplifitng [ 0 Answers ]

My friend, a school teacher, was caught by security with a newspaper (60p), and a wrist watch (10£), unmindfuly, as he is suffering form depression for the last 5 years. He has explained to the security and told them that he will pay for the items plus any fine. But they called police and recorded...

My friend accused me of liking her (both girls). [ 3 Answers ]

And now I don't know what to do! I've denied it so far but truth is I do and I understand that some of the things I've done could have given her that impression. She said that she'd still be my friend, however I know she's just saying that so I'll say that I do because I know that she'll ignore...

Boy friend owns house [ 25 Answers ]

Me and my 2 children moved in with my boyfriend in a house he owns outright.. Anyway, to make long story short, I told him 2 days ago, I was wanting to move out cause, I just can't handle living with him anymore. He said he wanted his key back and I said no, I need it to get in. I haven't found a...

View more questions Search