Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Diet Pepsi Girl Posts: 24, Reputation: 1

Mar 5, 2009, 08:36 AM
    Approximate cost to add 2nd floor
    Hi,
    I know this is a very vague question, but you wouldn't know how much to add a 2nd story to an 1800 square foot ranch would be? We bought a small ranch with the hopes of doing an extension or something like that. From what I hear it pays to build up rather than out. But we really need to add another 2 bedrooms to our house. Please help!

Diet Pepsi Girl
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 5, 2009, 08:48 AM

The cost will vary wilding from one loaction to the next. You could call 3 or more contractos to get their bids without any obligation. However, the first thing that would need to be done is to check the foundation to see if it will carry the load. Also zoning may affect what you do. Both situations can be answered by your local building inspector.
    Diet Pepsi Girl Posts: 24, Reputation: 1

Mar 5, 2009, 10:12 AM

How would I check the foundation to see if it would carry the load?
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Mar 5, 2009, 10:36 AM

Get a shovel and expose the footer on both sides.

After that see what size block you have there now. ( width of block) .

All of this needs to be checked no matter what for the inspector to see if it meets code for added floor.

Also he needs to know ( if he's Good ) what thickness of stud walls are there now along with there centers/ 24 oc or 16 oc.

He also would need to make sure you have a double wall top plate. That can be added to also. All homes should have one but you never know these days.

If you want a semi close barometer of cost. Figure out the materials to build and multiply that x 2 for the labor and re add the materials Thas the general rule of thumb for re hap

Example. $10,000.00 materials
    $20,000.00 for labor

Total job $ 30,000.00

Its amazing how close that works out at times

Signed 21 Boat

If I Helped To Answer Your Question Please Rate My Answer
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 5, 2009, 11:13 AM
    "Both situations can be answered by your local building inspector" The inspector will have your house plans on file and can tell if you are a slab or full foundation. Since we do not know the foot print or sq/ft of your home its too early for me to even think of a number. We would need to know how many rooms, stud sizes, windows, doors, roof slope, trusses, it just goes on and on from there. You will save yourself a lot of time and guessing by just calling the building department and ask if they have your plans on file. They know their codes better than we know them. 21boat gave you a number but that's just a starting point. I just built a 22x30 garage with 12/12 trusses and it ran $3100 with no insulation of interior surfaces.
    natureworx Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 31, 2009, 10:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    "Both situations can be answered by your local building inspector" The inspector will have your house plans on file and can tell if you are a slab or full foundation. Since we do not know the foot print or sq/ft of your home its too early for me to even think of a number. We would need to know how many rooms, stud sizes, windows, doors, roof slope, trusses, it just goes on and on from there. You will save yourself a lot of time and guessing by just calling the building department and ask if they have your plans on file. They know their codes better than we know them. 21boat gave you a number but thats just a starting point. I just built a 22x30 garage with 12/12 trusses and it ran $3100 with no insulation of interior surfaces.

Hi Can you please write me a mail at natureworx at hotmail dot com please. I am looking for some help for a house in glenview. I would really appreciate if you can mail me .

Look forward to speak to you

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Approximate yield to maturity and cost of debt [ 2 Answers ]

Airborne Airlines, Inc. has a $1,000 par value bond outstanding with 25 years to maturity. The bond carries an annual interest payment of $78 and is currently selling for $875. Airborne is in the 30% tax bracket. The firm wishes to know what the aftertax cost of a new bond issue is likely to be....

Cost of a second floor addition [ 3 Answers ]

I recently bought a duplex (one side). It has one bath and three small bedrooms on the second floor. There was a first floor, single story, 13x13 kitchen addition added in the late 80's with no basement. I'd eventually like to expand above that kitchen addition to add more space to the second...

View more questions Search