Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jbowman99 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 17, 2008, 07:30 AM
    How to find a lost 401K
    My question is.
    I was putting money in a 401K with my last employer. I changed employers just about a year ago, I have a new 401K plan with them.
    Is there a way I can get the old 401K in my bank account or do I have to roll it over into the exsisting account. Thank you,
    Jason
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 17, 2008, 07:39 AM
    You can leave the account in the old employer's plan if they permit (and obviously they do). You can request the money be rolled over into your new plan (my recommendation). Or you can request the amount be rolled over into an IRA.

If you just take the money out, you will pay a penalty and owe taxes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lost 401K [ 2 Answers ]

I need to fined a long ago 401K and the company that I worked for is know longer in business. Does anyone know how to find a 401K online?

Lost 401k [ 3 Answers ]

My question is: where can I get help in locating an old 401k plan from a company that has sinced changed names twice and I believe finally went under.. at the time of me leaving my position I was totally naïve about my 401kplan... the only thing I knew was that I was giving the 5% contribution...

Lost 401k [ 1 Answers ]

How do I find lost 401k from my previous employers?

Lost 401k [ 2 Answers ]

Hello - I worked for a company in 2001 & 2002, I had moved out of state and did not transfer my 401k plan onto my next job, because they did not offer Retirement benefits. I am back in the original state I worked in, in 2001 & 2002 and am working at a place that offers 401k. I am trying to...

I lost my 401K [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I had a 401K with my first Job out of college in 2002. 9months later the company unexpectedly went out of business. I always thought I would get info on the 401k in the mail, but nothing ever came and I don't even remember what company they set it up with. Is there anyway to look it up?

View more questions Search