Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Toby Bird Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 6, 2007, 07:01 PM
    Guardianship of Nephew
    My Sister was recently killed in an auto accident in N.C. Her 10 year old son, my nephew, is with me in Arizona. I need to get Legal Guardianship so I can enroll him in school, take to hospital if needed etc. If anyone has been through this please respond.

Thank You,

Terry W.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Jun 6, 2007, 07:10 PM
    Yes, I have been through this with my youngest son. First you need to consult an attorney, who does guardianship. You start the process there. That attorney will file the petition to the courts and will set up for an attorney on behalf of your nephew. There will also be a court visitor, who comes to your home and interviews you and your nephew, makes calls to others regarding your fitness and care. The guardian ad litem, representing your nephew, will come and visit you and your nephew, do whatever the court requires and report back to the court. Same with the court visitor.

You will be paying for three services - your attorney, your nephew's attorney (the guardian ad litem), and the court visitor. I do not know what the fee schedule is down there, that you can find out by calling around. You will be paying for filing the petition.

Your attorney will inform you as to court date. You and your nephew go, the Judge will review what is presented and hopefully, you will be your nephew's guardian. Generally, with his age, it would be a full guardianship. When you get your final papers from your attorney, keep the originals and make copies of the court order for his school, doctor, etc.

For me, it was not a long process. In less than 3 months I had guardianship.

Best wishes to you and your nephew.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Guardianship of my nephew [ 2 Answers ]

I need to obtain legal guardianship of my nephew he is 15 and has been living with me since July do I need to get a lawyer or can I just file the necessary paperwork on my own? Also if I can do it on my own where do I find the paperwork I need. The guardianship will not be contested by a parent. I...

Do I have the right to adopt my nephew [ 4 Answers ]

My sister and her winner boyfriend ( being sarcastic) Are both drug addicts he's in prison again for selling/doing drugs I heard that he is in for a good few years this time They took my poor nephew to see his dad in prison since the day he was born And then he got out of jail when he was like...

Nephew in trouble [ 7 Answers ]

My nephew is in trouble. It isn't the first time. He has done 6 moths jail for selling marijuana (actually a probation violation put him in the pokey). Several years later he got a F-3 for possession of cocaine and he did a year. Well, he was caught in Feb. with three other guys and charged...

My baby nephew [ 4 Answers ]

Do aunts have rights to see their nephew? I don't know

Custody of my nephew [ 2 Answers ]

I am wanting to have guardianship of my nephew who is being negleted. How do I go about it legally? What are some of my obstacles? Please give me some help.

View more questions Search