Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CallMeBel Posts: 88, Reputation: 9

Apr 6, 2009, 09:20 AM
    Human Biology- Human eyes changing color?
    Can human eyes change color, or is it just different types of light reflecting in their eyes? I am dating someone whose eyes are sometimes very blue, but sometimes green. I also have a friend whose eyes change from brown to green.
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Apr 7, 2009, 08:19 AM

It's just the light.

Babies are born with blue eyes, which change to their adult color in the first few months. And people with brown eyes may accumulate dots and specks of green and gold over the years so that their eyes become hazel. So yes, human eyes can change color a little bit, not much. But that is not happening with the person you are dating.
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Apr 8, 2009, 12:56 AM

I then suppose that the person and your friend you're dating wears contact lenses... and changed them between the times you saw them. Except if you haven't seen your friend for a long time.
    45notdaddy Posts: 62, Reputation: 15

Apr 8, 2009, 02:46 AM

My eyes do the blue / green thing depending on what I'm wearing and my mood. I've actually been held down and had different shirts draped over me by friends so that the light, nor my position change while they watch the change happen. It takes a couple of seconds, but it does happen. I have no explanation, be it a trick of the light or whatever it's just kind of cool that my eyes seem to change like that.
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Apr 8, 2009, 07:27 AM

Mine do this sometimes - I always assumed it was to do with blood flow. I could be completely wrong though :)
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Apr 8, 2009, 12:53 PM

Reflected light affects apparent eye color. So if you are wearing one color, your eyes will look greenish, another color, more blue. Also, the light around you.

Try walking into a white room wearing a red shirt and you'll see a pink glow. Now go in with a blue shirt, the pink is gone and you may notice bluish or greenish light on the walls, depending on the light source. Sunlight is yellow. Artificial lights are different colors.

I'd be very surprised if mood affected eye color. On the other hand, if your pupils dilate and contract with exposure to bright light or dim light (and to a lesser extent with mood), that could alter the color of the iris to a degree.
    Uber Member

Apr 9, 2009, 01:28 AM

Oohhh. Thanks for those info Asking!! :)
    oscarlicous Posts: 154, Reputation: 10

Apr 9, 2009, 05:47 AM
    My eyes changes to green, brown, blue, and really dark blue. Is that normal for eye changes? I'm not wearing contacts and they only change eith my moods.

May 4, 2009, 08:27 AM

Does anybody think I'm weird because of my eye changes?
    Uber Member

May 4, 2009, 08:32 AM

LOL oscar, OK, you're weird :p

May 4, 2009, 09:08 AM

That's what every body says about me. I guess I just need to fasce the facts. Oscar... you are weird!!
    Meredith1978 Posts: 120, Reputation: 9

May 8, 2009, 07:52 AM

Half the people in my house have this, my daughter gets a kick out of it because her eyes are like mine.

I have blue eyes except when my pupils contract, it reveals a gold circle. If you are more than 3 feet away my eyes look super green. As soon as my pupils dialate the gold is covered and they're blue.

Most the people I've met that mention that their eyes changed colors also have this second color. I never noticed until I was looking for it.

There is my theory

May 8, 2009, 08:00 AM

That theory does make a little sense. But it doesn't explain the way my eyes change with my mood. I have heard of the eye color changing because of what the people are wearing, but not the moods.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

May 9, 2009, 11:47 AM

I have known people whose eyes change with moods.
    Also over time your eyes can lose color from poor diet and health issues.
    Uber Member

May 9, 2009, 11:49 AM

Ah? I didn't know that NH4U... thanks, I learned a new thing today! :)
    Nin13 Posts: 23, Reputation: 4

Jun 4, 2009, 02:31 AM

No iris colour do not change. Unless of course as people have said above, person who met was wearing contact lenses.
    It happens in certain diseases. Just before onset of Acute Congestive Glaucoma person's eye becomes deep blue.
    balloo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 5, 2011, 08:41 AM
    I guess the melanin pigment in your iris can make your eyes go darker or lighter as you face sunlight, like your skin, but changing of the eye colour to a completely different one is something I don't know about... that must be having some different phenomenon.
    mano rana Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 2, 2012, 12:42 AM
    I've met a woman who claims that her eyes can change color when she's experiencing a powerful emotion. I'm pretty certain that this is completely impossible, of course. Eyes can change color over time, but not such a short time. They can appear to change color under different lighting or when you put in colored contacts, but I'm pretty sure that's not what she meant .I'd also like to know, how common is the misconception that a person's eyes can change color depending on mood? Is it more or less common than the "she was so scared her hair turned white overnight" myth? Has anybody else ever met somebody who claims that their eyes can change color?when she lays with her boyfriends lap- never changed position- and he saw her she tell memy eyes turn green (I was getting very aroused). Second-when I was in grade school, there was this weird type of school picture they took that had a full face pic, with a profile in the black overhead. When they took that pic I was my normal self for the first pic, which shows blue eyes, then they insisted that I look straight at the light, which pissed me off, and the profile shows green eyes.
    This appears to be a hereditary trait in that my Dad, my maternal grandfather, me and my daughter all have this type of eyes.
    Blackgriffin Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 29, 2012, 01:34 PM
    I was born with blue eyes which slowly changed to green over the course of about ten years. I have the childhood photos which show the progression. My white blond hair slowly changed to reddish-brown at the same time. My son did the same thing. He was born with white blond hair and blue eyes. He's grown now and has brown hair and green eyes. A genetics professor I had in college told me that's impossible, but again, I have the childhood photos of my son to prove it.
    Graeg1001 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 4, 2013, 06:59 PM
    Your mood can change your eye color because your mood affects the tension of the muscles around your eyes as well as pupil size, both of which affect how the iris of the eye reflects light.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Human VS Pig [ 7 Answers ]

I have heard that the pig is very close to humans genetically but what are the most identifiable differences between the DNA of the two?

Human Biology [ 6 Answers ]

It takes your food seven seconds to get from your mouth to your stomach. One human hair can support 3 kg (6.6 lb). The average man's penis is three times the length of his thumb. Human thighbones are stronger than concrete. A woman's heart beats faster than a man's.

Color visibility issue to human eyes [ 6 Answers ]

After some looking around I have found that the most salient color to human eyes is greenish yellow, the color which some fire trucks, traffic police vest have.However, if say I can only choose green or yellow, which color would you guys recommend to achieve the maximum possible result as close to...

How could someone do this to a human being? [ 5 Answers ]

Am in a relationship for aa year now.everything has been going well,till I found out that when my boyfriend went to visit nigeria last christmas,heb got a girl pregnant.my whole world crashed.I have exams coming up soon and I want to call it off.am still in shock.I just found out 3days ago.I need...

Human DNA [ 4 Answers ]

Is there a difference between the DNA of early man and modern man ?

View more questions Search