Until I turned it off - didn't trip.

2. I then plugged the fountain cord into another gfci outlet that is on the
    Same circuit with an extension cord and it tripped after about 10 minutes
    Too.

3. I then plugged the fountain into a non gfci with an extension cord and
    It ran for hours, no problem.

When the fountain trips at least 2 other outlets in my house no longer work
    (that I know of).

Can you tell me what I might be missing or how to further troubleshoot this?
    poolman64 Posts: 41, Reputation: 3

Jul 20, 2010, 03:58 PM

Because you have tried two different gfci outlets and they both do the same thing, I would guess the gfci is sensing a minor ground fault in the motor and doing what it is supposed to do. Finding out that the motor would run for hours on a non-gfci outlet tells me there must be a minor ground fault in the motor or the wiring. I have found gfci outlet boxes full of rusty water and insects which were causing the problem. The only other thing might be that the motor is drawing more amps than the gfci is rated for. These are difficult problems to solve and I would not by-pass using a gfci for safety reasons. Wish I had an easy answer for you but these can be a bear to find.
    lschuman50 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 20, 2010, 04:36 PM
    Comment on poolman64's post
    Thank you. I have since changed the GFI to a regular outlet and it is running perfectly. A to the safety, the fountain is in an enclosed area and to one goes near it. When I do to clean it, all power is off and I am nowhere near the outlet. OK?
    poolman64 Posts: 41, Reputation: 3

Jul 21, 2010, 05:08 PM

That is not code but is probably the same thing I would do at my own home. Anytime there is water and electricity in combination, a gfci is required by NEC and most local building codes, but if you are OK with it not having one your problem is solved.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Gfci breaker trips when I switch it on [ 1 Answers ]

I had to install 3 x GFCI breakers in my panel to bring my kitchen up to code following a kitchen remodel (lucky for me I have 3 separate circuits in my 10x10' kitchen !). Two of the breakers switch on fine and test OK. One of the breakers trips immediately when switched on. I have tested the...

Spa gfci trips constantly [ 4 Answers ]

I just wired a new spa and the gfci keeps tripping. I know I wired it correctly, It is 6-3 wire with ground The 50 amp gfci subpanel is hot. Every time I try to power up the gfci trips. Any ideas?

GFCI trips intermitantly [ 8 Answers ]

The GFCI trips intermitantly on my spa. The Blower was unplugged and the GFCI worked. Another Blower was installed and the GFCI trips again. I say the GFCI works and there is still something wrong in the spa. The Dealer says my GFCI is old and needs better noise suppression. They want to replace it...

3-way switch trips GFCI [ 1 Answers ]

All, I installed a GFCI in a bathroom that has 2 outlets, 2 vanity light bars controlled by a pair of 3-way switches, and a shower room with a Nutone fan/heater/light combo. I installed a GFCI in one outlet and when I turn on the lights, the GFCI trips. Both outlets have two cables in them and...

Submersible pump trips gfci [ 9 Answers ]

My pond pump has been operating for over a year. Recently it tripped the gfci. I pulled it and took it apart but didn't see anything obvious. I pulled the ground wire and tried the pump and it worked. Anyone have any ideas?

View more questions Search