Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    holshl Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 26, 2008, 04:25 PM
    Leak in ceiling from 2nd floor shower
    The last two times the shower on the 2nd floor has been used, after the water is turned off it has started to leak through the ceiling downstairs. What is the cause of this? And, what do I need to do to repair it?
    TexasParent Posts: 378, Reputation: 73

Oct 26, 2008, 04:35 PM

Two ways:

A) When the water is turned on for the shower the pipe may be leaking and even though the water is turned off afterwards it may take a bit of time for the water that leaked from the pipe to seep through to the downstairs.

B) It may be that the seal around the drain isn't working properly or water is getting in behind the tile, etc. and after the water is turned off the water takes time to work it's way down stairs.

If the downstairs where you see the water seeping through is drywall, then you will need to cut a patch to see if you can find the source of the water. If you can't find the leak from the bottom (perhaps there is a floor in the way) I would take off the faucet and make sure the connection behind it to the pipes are sealed properly and as a last resort, call a plumber and they may have to take out the tub or remove tile to get at the problem.
    TexasParent Posts: 378, Reputation: 73

Oct 26, 2008, 04:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasParent View Post
    Two ways:

A) When the water is turned on for the shower the pipe may be leaking and even though the water is turned off afterwards it may take a bit of time for the water that leaked from the pipe to seep through to the downstairs.

B) It may be that the seal around the drain isn't working properly or water is getting in behind the tile, etc. and after the water is turned off the water takes time to work it's way down stairs.

If the downstairs where you see the water seeping through is drywall, then you will need to cut a patch to see if you can find the source of the water. If you can't find the leak from the bottom (perhaps there is a floor in the way) I would take off the faucet and make sure the connection behind it to the pipes are sealed properly and as a last resort, call a plumber and they may have to take out the tub or remove tile to get at the problem.
    Sorry, forgot to answer the second part of the question. What you will need for repair is entirely dependent upon what the problem is in the first place.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 26, 2008, 05:02 PM

3 leak points are most common on a shower. Mixing valve, drain and trap, and finally the groiuting and caulking. If you have access to see behind the shower mixer or under the floor we will get this done more quickly. Do you have either access point?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tile leak from 3rd floor through 2nd floor ceiling (bath) [ 5 Answers ]

Hi All: We renovated our third floor bathroom which included stripping the floor down and installing tiles (1" squares within 1' blocks). After our 3rd floor tenant takes long showers we get some leakage through her floor and thusly through our ceiling (which we now have partially open to have...

How can I find a water leak(s) in my first floor ceiling? [ 4 Answers ]

I have noticed 6 water marks appearing on the ceiling of my first floor. 2 run along the entire length of the floor, seems to be running the joint of 2 drywall sheets because they are long, thin and straight. The others are smaller spots in different area's of the ceiling but all in the same...

Leak in 1st floor bathroom ceiling [ 1 Answers ]

There a leak in our first floor bathroom ceiling. This leak happens only when it rains. Above the first floor bathroom is the 2nd floor bathroom. There is no water on the 2nd floor bathroom. The toilet on the 2nd floor flushes fine. The 2nd floor bathroom is part of a room addition. I had...

1st floor ceiling leak below 2nd floor shower [ 2 Answers ]

Our ceiling has developed a swelling or bubble in the ceiling and when touched-it literally fell apart and created a hole. It is dry to the touch but happens to be right in line with our 2nd floor master bedroom shower where the plumbing probably comes down. The shower has a plastic floor with a...

Toilet leak ,3rd floor to 2nd floor ceiling. [ 1 Answers ]

Was told that I would have to build a 6 inch platform to place toilet high enough to get adaquate flow to prevent this. Is this valid or does anyone else have a better plan. Floors,pipes , toilet all new install to existing. 3 years.

View more questions Search