Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    taxq121 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Sep 8, 2007, 07:29 PM
    Is interest income of a citizen of China he gets in the US banking accounts taxable
    Does one have to file tax return for the interest income from CD or money market accounts in US if the person is living in China full time?

What about the income for the work performed in China he is paid for to his banking account in US by US company?

He used to live here and he has social security number.

Thanks.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Sep 10, 2007, 08:17 AM
    If the foreign national is NOT physically present in the United States, then interest on CDs is NOT taxable.

However. Money market interest is NOT really interest; they are dividends and ARE considered taxable. However, the foreign national's personal exemption of $3,400 for 2007 will probably completely offset the dividends received, so not taxes would be due.

If you know that your money market dividends will not exceed $3,400, no tax return is required. In order to keep from having to file a tax return to get back taxes withheld by the broker, file a Form W-8BEN with the stock broker so that no money will be withheld.

If all the work is performed in China and the foreign national is NOT under a H-1 or H-1B visa, then he is NOT liable for taxes on the China-based income, even though the money is paid via a U.S. bank account.

Sep 10, 2007, 06:13 PM
    Thank you very much. I really appreciate it.
    Senior Tax Expert

Sep 11, 2007, 01:42 PM
    Glad to help!

Sep 11, 2007, 05:05 PM
    There're some money already withheld by the bank. And the bank just sent out w-8ben form--exactly the same form you mentioned in your advice. If the w-8ben form is filed, will the withheld tax be automatically refunded or any other form to file for the refund? Thanks very much!

BTW, I'm so amazed at your opinion!

Sep 11, 2007, 05:13 PM
    BTW, for the income a US company pays to a Chinese citizen for the work performed in China and to a bank account here in the US, will there any potential problems for the US company to pay to the account here? I suppose for the Chinese citizen, he needs to pay tax in China for the income and has no other obligations, right? Thanks much!
    Senior Tax Expert

Sep 12, 2007, 10:03 AM
    Under the NUG (normally, usually, generally) rule, countries tax their citizens when they are within their borders and let the other countries tax their citizens when they are within the other countries' borders.

The United States, however, taxes its citizens regardless of where they are located on ALL of their world-wide income.

So, under the NUG rule, China probably will tax its citizen on the interest earned in the U.S. bank.

You can ask the bank to refund the withholding once you file the W-8BEN. They may or may not refund it, depending on whether it has already been sent to the U.S. Treasury. If not, then the Chinese citizen will have to file a non-resident tax return to get the withheld taxes back as a refund.

Sep 13, 2007, 04:54 AM
    Thanks very much! Again, really helpful.
    Senior Tax Expert

Sep 13, 2007, 11:02 AM
    Glad to help!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Whether it is a taxable interest income since the principle came from other country [ 3 Answers ]

Q1: My mom from Hong Kong gave me $37,000 to deposit to my US bank, the original purposes was to pay my tuition in US college. I ended up getting a scholarship, so I had the money on CD and earn est. $1500 interest in a US bank in 2007. Would this interest counted as taxable income while I am using...

Income is taxable or not [ 1 Answers ]

The amount that we get as per diem allowance in us is non taxable in us, if this amount anyone takes back to india, is it taxable there or not.

Taxable income [ 4 Answers ]

Are employee cell phone reimbursements considered taxable income

How is an APY different than an APR? Anyone tried the Online Direct Banking accounts? [ 1 Answers ]

How is an APY different than an APR. I am getting a 5% APY on savings on an online account. Is there a better option for me where I will need the cash in the near future. I have approx. 7K saved in the savings account with a 5% APY.

Taxable Interest (f1 To H1b In Oct) [ 3 Answers ]

Dear Atlanta Expert and other friends, Thank you for this website and your contribution. I have question regarding taxable interest. On October 1, 2005, my status was change from F1 to H1B, As per the sticky note, I should be filling the 1040 NR + 8843. My question is about taxable...

View more questions Search