Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wednesday18 Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Apr 12, 2007, 11:31 AM
    Driving with expired registration and insurance
    I'm in State of NJ

I was pulled over due to expired registration and unfortunately, with expired insurance also. I really overlooked those facts. I was asked to appear in court. Now, my problem is... what do I need to do? What do I need to expect? Do I need an attorney? I am pleading guilty. I renew my registration this morning and I already got my car insurance. I am freaking out because this is my first time to be pulled over and my first time to go to court. Please someone help me. Thank you
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Apr 12, 2007, 12:02 PM
    I am assuming that you are still able to drive right now. I would expect to be fined. How much depends on the laws in the state of NJ. An attorney probably isn't necessary. But, having a parent with you when you go to court would be a good idea for moral support and to be a witness to anything that a judge will say to you.
    Uber Member

Apr 12, 2007, 12:04 PM
    I'm going to see if I can find those laws right now.
    Uber Member

Apr 12, 2007, 12:08 PM
    Quote from: New Jersey Motor Vehicle Offenses

39:3-29 License, registration certificate and insurance identification card; possession; exhibit upon request; violations; fine; defense.
    The driver's license, the registration certificate of a motor vehicle and an insurance identification card shall be in the possession of the driver or operator at all times when he is in charge of a motor vehicle on the highways of this State.

The driver or operator shall exhibit his driver's license and an insurance identification card, and the holder of a registration certificate or the operator or driver of a motor vehicle for which a registration certificate has been issued, whether the holder, driver or operator is a resident of this State, shall also exhibit the registration certificate, when requested so to do by a police officer or judge, while in the performance of the duties of his office, and shall write his name in the presence of the officer, so that the officer may thereby determine the identity of the licensee and at the same time determine the correctness of the registration certificate, as it relates to the registration number and number plates of the motor vehicle for which it was issued; and the correctness of the evidence of a policy of insurance, as it relates to the coverage of the motor vehicle for which it was issued.

Any person violating this section shall be subject to a fine of $150, of which $25 shall be deposited in the Uninsured Motorist Prevention Fund established by section 2 of P.L.1983, c.141 (C.39:6B-3).

If a person charged with a violation of this section can exhibit his driver's license, insurance identification card and registration certificate, which were valid on the day he was charged, to the judge of the municipal court before whom he is summoned to answer to the charge, such judge may dismiss the charge. However, the judge may impose court costs.

Apr 12, 2007, 12:28 PM
    Thanks Clough
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 12, 2007, 12:47 PM
    If you go to the court and can show your registration has been renewed and you are now covered by insurance, they will probably just drop the matter.
    nottheonlycluelesstexan Posts: 22, Reputation: 15

Apr 12, 2007, 12:55 PM
    I lived in NY when the same things happened to me. Don't worry too much. I still had fines to pay but I was just honest with the court district attorney that was there. I had let everything lapse because I was out of work and had no money. She explained that I still needed to pay the fines but she worked with me by giving me the least amount for the fine and making payment arrangements with me that I could afford. It was scary to me too but it worked out.

Apr 12, 2007, 12:59 PM
    Thanks for all your answers. By the way, can somebody tell me what do I really need to do when I go to court? Do I need to speak with somebody?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 12, 2007, 01:07 PM
    If you did not actually have insurance the fine can be more of course, than the fine for just not having the card on you, but it is just a fine and they will allow payments if you can[t afford it, And if possible maybe a lecture on responsibility ( our judge loved to do that)

Apr 12, 2007, 01:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    If you go to the court and can show your registration has been renewed and you are now covered by insurance, they will probably just drop the matter.

Thanks! I really hope so.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 12, 2007, 02:17 PM
    When you go to the court they will tell you what to do, It will probably mean bringing the summons to a clerk who will put you in a queue. You then sit and wait for your name to be called. At that point you may be offered a plea or dismissal (assuming you have the reg renewed and insurance card in place). Or you may just go before a judge who will look at your documents and either dismiss or levy a fine.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Registration of business [ 1 Answers ]

How do I register a business, get a tax ID# and what do I need

Company name registration? [ 1 Answers ]

My friend and I are starting a small business, making clothing (one off's) and jewellry, do we have to register our company name before we can use it on label's, if so ,who do we contact??

How do I get refund on registration/insurance for impounded vehicle? [ 1 Answers ]

My mom, 70 years old, lives in NY state. Her car was impounded because it was parked on the wrong side of the street. The car is in need of repair and is not really worth paying the impound or storage fees. So I am advising mom to abandon the car. Do we need a notorized letter stating that...

Driving car w/o insurance [ 1 Answers ]

Can you drive a car that you just bought the same day to work with out insurance? In illions

View more questions Search