Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    drew44 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 30, 2006, 01:29 PM
    Heating element Kenmore 70 series electric dryer
    When I start the dryer the heating element gets hot for about 5 seconds then blows a fuse. The dryer will still cycle, but never get hot again. I replaced the fuses and no luck. When I took the plate off I can see that it is getting hot. There are 5 coils and it appears that the top 3 coils are darker then the bottom 2. Any thoughts?
    mosesbrand Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 31, 2006, 12:16 AM
    Try checking your ground wires. They may be corroded or loose
    webthreadz Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 15, 2007, 06:15 PM
    I have a similar problem with my Kenmore 70 Series. Did you ever figure out what was wrong with yours? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    carrascoe01 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 17, 2007, 06:15 AM
    It sounds like the heating coils are burned out. Hey this fuse you speak of, where is it located?
    Kenvenkatesh Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 17, 2011, 02:13 PM
    Can I see diagram wiring for 110-62924100
    Kenvenkatesh Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 17, 2011, 02:15 PM
    Can I see the diagram of wires that need to be connected to thermostat?
    drtom4444 Posts: 3,282, Reputation: 145
    Ultra Member

Oct 17, 2011, 10:45 PM
    You will have to take it apart and test the thermal fuse near the heating element. Most likely it is blown and will have to be replaced, but you will have to clean the drier out thoroughly or it all for nothing. Every air duct will have to be removed and scraped and washed out to remove baked on lint deposits which is like a concrete lining. This will burn so the manufacturer has installed the safeties to keep from having a house fire. Driers were the number one cause of fires at one time. Look at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMP7BW1lLs4 to see how. Also: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBiRw-KElC4 ; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFTZGgVisCI
    When you finish cleaning the drier and install a new safety it is best to also replace the belt, too, because you do not want to have to disassemble it again and if the belt is over two years old you should replace it. The safeties are oval-shaped with a round center part containing the safety with two plug-on terminals for the wires.
    Using an ohm meter you put a lead on each terminal of the safety with wires unplugged and if it's good you will have a reading of about zero; if it's bad it will read infinity.
    Note that on most of the videos it does not show them washing out the parts, but this is important because it's the only way to really get the parts clean, just don't get motor wet or the capacitor if it has one. Vacuum out the motor. I would move the drier out to your garage to have plenty of space to work. You also want to check your vent and clean it, also. The job is really easier than it sounds. There is no shortcut that will work; it has to be cleaned well. Before you re-assemble it make sure to use white lithium grease (high-temp grease) and grease all bearings. Just vacuuming out the dryer a little does little good. DrTom4444

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Heating Problem - Kenmore Heavy Duty 60 Series Soft Heat [ 4 Answers ]

My Kenmore Heavy Duty 60 Series Soft Heat Model 96565210will not heat on any setting. The dryer runs normally, it just won't heat at all. We did install a new heat element, and that would not heat up. Any help is appreciated!

Kenmore Heavy Duty Dryer 80 series [ 4 Answers ]

Our dryer will not keep running. We have a Sears Kenmore Heavy Duty Dryer - 80 series, electric. When you push the button for it to start tumbling, it will not go. It was running about a week ago, then while in the cycle it stopped. Every now and then the dryer will start when you push in the...

Kenmore Dishwasher heating element [ 1 Answers ]

I need to replace the heating element in my 665.16512 Kenmore Dishwasher but I don't know how to remove the old one. Any hints?

Kenmore electric dryer/ no power [ 1 Answers ]

I have an electric kenmore dryer, seems like it is not getting power. I have checked the breaker everything is fine there took off the back panel and have tested that it is getting power as far down the hot wire as I can check that leads to the blower motor. Even when you open the door there is no...

Maytag dryer heating element wiring schematic [ 0 Answers ]

I have a Maytag dryer model#SDE5401AYW and it quit heating. We purchased a new heating element and went to hook it up but we have two gray wires that come from the wire harness at the motor that we have no clue where they go. My father-in-law took out the old heating element and didn't mark the...

View more questions Search