Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aggie04 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Sep 14, 2006, 03:12 AM
    Cash journals
    Which of the following journals is used when cash is refunded to a customer upon return of goods sold for cash?

A. Cash receipts journal
    B. cash payments journal
    C. sales returns and allowances journal
    D. purchases returns and allowances journal

:eek: :confused: :eek:

I think its sales returns but it could possibly be cash payments 2.
    Which one?? :confused: :mad: :confused:
    mh34 Posts: 20, Reputation: 1

Sep 14, 2006, 03:19 AM
    C. Sales returns and allowances

Cash payments is for payments made to vendors not customers. Since the customer returned INVENTORY(goods you sold), then it would go in the sales returns and allowances journal.
    aggie04 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Sep 14, 2006, 03:32 AM
    Wait that can't be right! :/
    How could I possibly use the sales returns journal when I sold the goods on cash??

Sales journal & sales returns is only associated with goods sold on credit!

Therefore the answer must be Cash payments journal! As the goods were sold on cash mind you
    mh34 Posts: 20, Reputation: 1

Sep 14, 2006, 03:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by aggie04
    wait that can't be right!! :/
    how could i possibly use the sales returns journal when i sold the goods on cash??????

Sales journal & sales returns is only associated with goods sold on credit!!

therefore the answer must be Cash payments journal!! as the goods were sold on cash mind you
    Where do the goods go that were returned?
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Sep 14, 2006, 06:31 PM
    The answer is B, Cash Payments Journal.

Let's review the different types of journals:

Sales Journal: contains all transactions involving sales of merchandise on account.

Purchases Journal: contains all transactions involving purchases of merchandise on account.

Cash Receipts Journal: All money received into the business must be carefully controlled and deposited promptly.

Cash Payments (Disbursements) Journal: All money paid from the bank accounts must be carefully controlled and recorded in the cash payments journal

General Journal: Anything that does not fit into any other journal.

When the sale was made, the JE was
    Dr. Cash
    Cr. Sales

That would have been recorded in the Cash Receipts Journal

When the goods are returned, the JE is:
    Dr. Sales Returns and Allowances
    Cr. Cash

This will be recorded in the Cash Payments Journal

And on the Income Statement:
    Sales
    Less: Sales Returns and Allowances
    Net Sales

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

401K cash out [ 2 Answers ]

Could you tell me when and how much taxes I would pay if I cashed out my 401K which is $28000.00. Earnings for the year is $52000.00. Would that $28k be added to my income?

Want To Pay Cash [ 3 Answers ]

If I Was To Win A Sweepstake , And Won Let's Say 10 Million Dollars Cash , And I Seen My Dream House That Cost About $700,000.00 Dollars , Would It Be Wise To Pay Cash For It Or Get A Mortgage , Even If I Have Money Left Over To Invest In Other Things .

HELP 401k cash out [ 6 Answers ]

12/5/05 I left my employer and had a small 401k. I requested to cash out as it was small amount. 1/06 checked Manual life and account was still listed as active and open. I called Manul life to discuss closing account. I was told need special paper work from previous employer. So called again and...

Cash vs. Accrual [ 2 Answers ]

Please explain the difference on how revenues are recorded into the books of a cash basis organization and how on an accrual based organization. Please explain the steps you would take to convert a cash-bash organization’s financial statements to accrual basis.

View more questions Search