Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    judischroeder Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 29, 2009, 10:27 AM
    Ouickbooks payroll j/e, cash basis using a Payroll Co.
    We use a payroll company to process our payroll. Each payroll they deduct the money for our taxes. If I enter the taxes as a payable, it messes up my books because the money is already deducted with the biweekly payroll. My quarterly reports did not match my QB files and I cannot figure out what I need to do. Please help me.
    MaggieMouse Posts: 226, Reputation: 8

Apr 1, 2009, 03:01 PM

Your journal entry:

Dr. payroll expense (include net amount and taxes)
    Cr. Cash

Cash should be the total of payroll amount and taxes. You don't need the payroll taxes payable amount. You can separate payroll and taxes for easy record in your books.
    Luzmobilebooks Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 20, 2012, 01:44 PM
    And what about payroll taxes paid by the employee? It is not an expense for the company.

[email protected]
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Jun 20, 2012, 02:51 PM
    If you have recorded the total of the payroll as suggested the payment of the tax is handled by the contractor.

So debit payroll expense gross payroll
    Credit payroll taxes deducted
    Credit cash net payroll

Then pay the tax to the contractor when you settle your account with them

Alternatively if you settle the gross amount with the contactor each week then you only need record the gross payroll
    Luzmobilebooks Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 20, 2012, 03:16 PM
    Thank you very much .
    My situation is with one customer who use Paychex for his payroll.process.

I use to do accrual basis accounting for Paychex payroll, but my customer wants cash basis accounting. He says I have to record as expenses even the net check received by his employees and the amounts deducted by the bank account by Paychex..

In this case I guess I can do the same records as you sugest.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Jun 20, 2012, 03:27 PM
    Hi I don't want to cover the same ground twice. This is belt and braces thinking. I expect your client wants complete records so the payroll record should reflect what has actually been done but surely the contractor provides a complete record and all you need is the payments journal

What you could do is set the contractor up as a bank account so your payroll is paid out of that bank account and your cash payment to the contractor is allocated to that account by using the transfer function

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Reporting Cash Basis versus Accrual Basis Income [ 3 Answers ]

Please help, I'm confused. Music Company had the following transactions in March: a. Sold instruments to customers for $10,000; received $6,000 in cash and the rest on account. The cost of the instruments was $7,000. b. Purchased $4,000 of new instruments inventory; paid $1,000 in cash and...

Reporting cash basis versus accrual basis income [ 1 Answers ]

Please help me. I am an online student and new to accounting. Forllowing transactions in March. Do both cash basis and accrual basis income a) Sold instrument to customers for $10,000; received $6000 in cash and the rest on account. The cost of the instrument was $7000 b)Purchased $4000 of...

Reporting Cash Basis versus Accrual Basis Income [ 1 Answers ]

Mostert Music Company had the following transactions in March: a. Sold instruments to customers for $10,000; received $6,000 in cash and the rest on account. The cost of the instruments was $7,000. b. Purchased $4,000 of new instruments inventory; paid $1,000 in cash and owed the rest on...

Payroll and payroll taxes [ 1 Answers ]

I'm completing a project for a high school accounting class. I need to know how to journalize the payment of payroll. I also need to know how to journalize the payment of the payroll taxes.

View more questions Search