Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BenCh Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Mar 18, 2006, 03:50 PM
    Kenmore washer stopped spinning
    My Kenmore washer, model# 417.99686210, has stopped spinning. It runs through the rest of the cycle, OK. It still agitates, indicating the motor is OK, but when it comes to the spin cycle, nothing. It fills with water and drains. If anyone can help, that would be most appreciated. Thank you.
    applguy Posts: 324, Reputation: 23

Mar 20, 2006, 09:35 PM
    Check to see if you can hear the lid switch click when the lid is opened and closed. Most of the time, you can reach under the edge of the washer top and feel that the switch is broken and hanging by the wires. If this is the case, the switch is relatively easy to replace, and I can describe the details if you like. If the switch isn't broken, and is clicking when the lid is operated, let me know and we can go from there.

Mar 21, 2006, 03:35 AM
    Thank you for the response appleguy. The switch seems to be OK. It clicks and it does stop draining the water when the lid is opened. I also checked the belt and it is in tact and is not warn.

Mar 22, 2006, 05:59 PM
    Sorry, I was assuming your washer was built by Whirlpool, which most Kenmore units are. Your stack unit was built by Frigidaire; quite different. This is why model numbers are so crutial when talking about major appliances. Anyway, I wonder if your timer has different spin speeds in different cycles. Most washers will spin at high speed in the normal/heavy cycles, but default to a low speed spin in a delicates cycle. If yours has this ability, which speed doesn't work, and just as important, does the other speed work? I realize that when you set it for a spin/drain, the separate drain motor runs, but sometimes you can hear other things, such as a drive motor that is humming, etc. You could unplug the drain motor to see if the main drive motor is at least trying to work. All motor function is controlled by the timer, and it's the timer that reverses polarity of the start winding to make the motor go in opposite directions. It may be the reversing contacts in timer. Do you have and know how to use a volt-ohm meter? Unfortunately, I don't have an online source for schematics for Frigidaire products, so this will be harder to figure out, unless you can scan the tech sheet and email it to me or something. It should be in a large manilla envelope inside the washer cabinet. You might also use a flashlight to try to see through the outer tub (can't remember how opaque it is). If a sock or something else has found itself between the tubs, that would get you the condition you're having.

Mar 22, 2006, 10:43 PM
    Thank you for your help. I too figured out it was a Frigidaire, but I am glad I was right. I know a little about using a volt-ohm meter, and yes I do have one. I shined a light in and around the tub and it does not look like there is anything stuck between. I can spin the inner tub counter clockwise, but not clockwise. I cannot hear a hum coming from the motor, but I have not had a chance to try and unplug the drain motor. Here is a URL for a wiring diagram from Frigidaire's website(ftp://ftp.electrolux-na.com/ProdInfo.../131780600.pdf.) It is almost identicle to mine. The only difference I can see is on the Cycles part, they are in a different order. Each item looks the same, but the lines(Heater B-A, Timer T2-TD, etc.) are in a different order. All else looks the same. Although I am not too educated on reading wiring diagrams. Do you know if the Frigidaire control panel will connect to the Kenmore machine?

Mar 23, 2006, 06:56 PM
    I'm still interested to know if your washer will work on a slow speed setting? This schematic shows only the timer, motor, and lid switch have anything to do with a spin procedure. You should check the lid switch for continuity before going any further. If it shows closed when the lid is closed, then the timer is next. According to this schematic, when the washer is set for a high speed spin, lid closed, and timer knob pulled out, you should read 120 volts AC at the motor between purple and orange (start winding) and the same reading between black/white and red (high speed run winding). If the voltage readings are zero or well below 120, let me know the reading and at what location. I don't understand what you mean about the control panel. The control panel has several parts for the washer and the dryer, and most of these parts are model-specific. Since only Frigidaire might have any cross reference information between their machines and the ones they sold to Sears, it is unlikely to ever find a match under the Frigidaire name if there even is one. Secondly, you can't get a control panel with all the parts attached to it, anyway. All parts are sold individually, unless you have access to another non-used machine for parts. Another reason to not buy Kenmore-branded products from Sears in my opinion. If you want a Frigidaire, then buy a Frigidaire. If you want a Whirlpool, then buy one. Why pay Sears your hard-earned money just for them to make everything more complicated except for their own people? Another thread states that Sears' website for parts is always accurate, but that's probably because it's not their information. They simply have access to a third party system. Sorry, once I get going, it's hard to stop. If I haven't answered your question, or you have additional questions, let me know.

Mar 23, 2006, 07:42 PM
    I guess I'm not sure what you mean by a slow speed setting. After it fills with water, it rotates back and forth(agitates.) It just does not spin when it gets to the spin cycle. The lid switch stops the drain process when you open the lid and it starts back up when you close the lid. Doesn't that mean it is working? I do not have access to a non used machine, but will soon have access to a slightly used control panel. I am hoping it is in working order and will hook up to my machine. It is a Figidaire control panel, but the washer timer in it has the same part number as mine. I have not checked the other part numbers, yet. As for why I have a Kenmore instead of a Frigidaire, well, it came to me via a family member a few years ago. I did not buy it. If I were to buy one, I don't know what brand I would buy. Do you have any preferences, in case it comes down to getting a new one? I will try to check the voltages that you suggested. Thank you for your help. I appologize if I am bothering you.

Mar 27, 2006, 06:15 PM
    No bother at all. Usually most washers have two different spin speeds. The timer uses different contacts for the different speeds, and the motor uses different windings. Sometimes there is an agitate/spin speed switch, and other times if you want a slow spin, you have to choose a delicate cycle. I was just wondering if the machine doesn't spin on high speed, will it work on low speed? If you have a machine that you can rob the timer out of, it's better and usually easier to just change the timer, not all the components. Simply remove the timer knob and the mounting screws should be under it. The knobs are usually removed by making sure the knob is pushed in and just unscrew it. The knob skirt usually just pulls off. By the way, I wasn't actually asking you why you bought it. I was just ranting about Sears. If you need to replace the machine, I think the Whirlpool stack unit is probably the best for the money. Usually has the longest life and is easy to repair if and when necessary.

Apr 4, 2006, 08:35 AM
    Well, it was just a matter of unplugging a few quick connect wire harnesses and a clear hose and then reconnecting the new used control panel in it's place. And it works. Solved the spin problem and replaced the broken knob which started the dryer. So, now my Kenmore says Frigidaire on the front. The knobs look much newer, which looks nicer, not that it matters in the garage. It is still a nice touch. So, problem solved. Must have been the timer. THANK YOU so much for your help and the correct diagnosis.

Apr 4, 2006, 04:58 PM
    Thanks for the update... glad you got it fixed.
    maxilla Posts: n/a, Reputation:

Apr 4, 2008, 11:43 AM
    Sears kenmore machine was in spin cycle when the wahs became off center and machine stared to rattle... I stopped and rearranged the was now the water will not drain... how do I fix
    kimdean65 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 20, 2009, 10:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by BenCh View Post
    My Kenmore washer, model# 417.99686210, has stopped spinning. It runs through the rest of the cycle, OK. It still agitates, indicating the motor is OK, but when it comes to the spin cycle, nothing. It fills with water and drains. If anyone can help, that would be most appreciated. Thank you.
    That what happen my washer I flip it over a and the belt was off

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Kenmore Elite washer not spinning/agitating [ 11 Answers ]

I have the same washer as SerTam (dated 4/2/06). Model #110.20052 992 The washer filled and the light said it was washing but it was just making a horrible buzzing sound. It was not agitating. I was able to get it to drain though. It also would stop draining if I raised the lid so I don't think...

Kenmore elite catalyst washer not spinning [ 1 Answers ]

Model number 11020072991 Ok, here's where I'm at. I believe it's the drive coupler? I've disconnected the control panel and fliped it back. I remove the brass colored springs holding on the cover and removed the cover after disconnecting the clamps and hoses needed. Now, I'm stuck and don't...

GE washer not spinning [ 3 Answers ]

I have a GE washer that will not engage and spin through it's normal cycle. It completes the cycle, the pump drains all the water but it will not spin. All other parts of the cycle seem OK. L not start again. I would like to look inside but am unsure how to make my way in to this machine. Does the...

Washer Overflows When Spinning [ 1 Answers ]

I just bought a washer and dryer, only to find I can't use them yet. Here is my problem: I live in an older house, not sure exaclty how old (it has a coal shoot) and I have had some plumbing problems. My first level toilet sometimes flushes very slooowly, and sometimes very well. My main drain...

View more questions Search