Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lookat Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 13, 2005, 01:49 AM
    Hampton Bay ceiling fan light fixture stopped working but fan still works why?
    New light put in my Hampton Bay ceiling fan, but then after a few days, no light bulbs work but fan runs fine, why is this happening?:confused:
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Feb 13, 2005, 01:21 PM
    If the fan replaced a ceiling light, the box may not be sturdy enough to support the fan, allowing vibration that breaks the filament in the light. The best fix would be to reinforce the support for the box. Often they only have a nail or 2 holding one side to one joist. Retrofitting better support will be tough unless you have access to the top in an attic. Otherwise, it could mean cutting a big hole in the ceiling.

Another fix would be sturdier bulbs, a rough service bulb, maybe available at a hardware or auto store, or a compact fluorescent.

Feb 13, 2005, 10:09 PM
    Thanks, but wouldn't it be best to just buy a new replacement ceiling fan?
    The fan did wobble a lot.
    For a long time I used a compact halogen fluorescent bulb.
    Then one day I took it out, thought I should save on energy bills by using one of those new coil looking 60 watt equivalent bulbs that use only around 15 watts of power and after about
    6 or 7 days, the darned thing went out. I tested the bulb on two other lamps and the bulb was just plain dead.
    Do I need to just replace the entire fan just to be safe?
    It looked like when I replaced the fluorescent bulb, for a few moments a funny haze seemed to emitt from outside the bulb. It reminded me of when dust settles on a light bulb over time and then smokes just like a bug on a hot lamp for a few seconds.
    If it were not for this temporary 30 second fuzzy haze about the light bulb I wouldn't be so concerned.
    lionfoxx Posts: 34, Reputation: 1

Feb 21, 2005, 09:55 AM
    Is the fan on a 3 way switch?
    I had a smilar issue, but my fan was on a 3 way switch and whomever put it in did use a good wire nut for the neutral, so the fan initially worked, but no light and we replaced the switch in the fan, then we had light for a second, then no light. We found out then neutral had a loose connection, which ultimately worked loose more and took out the fan and other plugs.

Just a thought, that you may check if you have a 3 way switch.

Thanks, LFX.

Feb 21, 2005, 11:51 AM
    Okay Lionfoxx, the fan has 3 speeds, and the wall switch is connected to the ceiling fan which has a single light below.
    The single light has a on/off toggle switch on it.
    Since the fan is a 3 speed, L,M,H... it most likely has a 3 way switch. The thing is, originally the celing light was a 2 way
    On/off at either the wall or at the light, then we had the electrician take out the light and put in one of the low end Hampton Bay fan lights.
    Thanks by the way for the initial feedback :)
    lionfoxx Posts: 34, Reputation: 1

Feb 21, 2005, 12:57 PM
    Fan switch
    Is the fan connected to 2 wall switches or one? Mine had 2 switches, so there was an extra neutral that needed hooked up. Your should have a neutral, but if it has one wall switch it still should have a neutral.

I would check all the connections on the fan light, if you know how. Turn off power to the circuit at that panel, then take the light loose from where it bolts on and check the wire nuts to make sure the wires are not loose.

Else, you may have to call the installer back to look at again.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jun 10, 2007, 06:44 AM
    Usually no reason to replace fan because of light.
    One wire for light goes from ceiling through pipe, to light switch, If you have power at ceiling , should have power to light switch. Jump out light switch to determine need to replace. And if it holds 3 or 4 bulbs, likely switch, as 3 or 4 sockets don't usually go bad at once.
    If Fan Wobbles, Maybe replace, or tweak blades to be on same plane, and blade tips
    Equal distance fom each other. 4 blades make sure square.
    On 5 blades, 3 blade tip measurements should be close to equal. 1 large measurement,
    And 1 small measurment. Blade between these 2 possibly had blade strike. Correct.
    JohnnyFin Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 22, 2008, 06:31 AM
    If anyone is still following this thread.

Someone has confused a 3 position switch with a 3-way switch. Not the same thing.

Some of the new fans state directly on the box that a CFL (Compact Fluorescent) will not work with the solid state receiver (fan uses remote). A CFL may not get the clean AC power it needs to start. CFLs are very fragile. I like them but they don't hold up and they burn up from excessive heat in standard fixtures as well.

Another issue would be that one puts bulbs of a wattage in excess of the manufacturers rating and you burn out the light control in the receiver because it cannot handle the wattage. Most fans I have seen accept only 40 watt bulbs. The controller is designed to handle a current only for that much power.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Aug 22, 2008, 01:36 PM
    60 watts was standard before they switched to candelabra sockets. Last I checked most receivers were rated for an incandenscent lighting load of 300 watts or 2.5 amps.
    Ginger Pohl Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 24, 2009, 04:55 AM

Fan with light & remote working,
    Light and fan stopped - replaced battery
    New light installed,light still not working , fan is.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Jun 30, 2009, 12:44 PM

Make/model of fan?

Does it have pullchains?

Ceiling fan remote controls - help and FAQ- Ceiling Fans N More
    jcbslb Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 18, 2010, 08:02 AM
    Check the pull chain first. I had 2 lights stop working all of a sudden (fans are fine). Thought it might be bulbs (but that would be odd that they stop working all at the same time) or a wiring issue but it was that simple. Must have had a power surge that reset the chain or something. Very weird but easy fix.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Dec 18, 2010, 08:06 AM

Hey Jcbsl,

This post started in 2005 and was last answered in 2008.

Please do not append to posts that are that old. :)
    mah1221 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 27, 2012, 07:05 PM
    I'm happy that you added your thoughts, even if late. But how do you check and reset the pull chain? Thanks.
    jayman806 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 31, 2013, 08:47 AM
    I had this same problem. I took it apart and noticed that the receiver/ remotes codes were not the same. I set them to be the same, put it back together and off she went! I think that the battery wire in the remote must have knocked one of the code switches when I last changed the battery...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hampton bay ceiling fan-light works-fan doesn't [ 6 Answers ]

I installed a new Hampton Bay ceiling fan outdoors and the light works from a wall switch but the fan doesn't work at all. There is a white, black, red and ground wire coming from the ceiling. There is a white, black, black/white stripe (light) and green ground coming from the fan. I attached...

Hampton Bay Remote Ceiling Fan - light works - no fan [ 2 Answers ]

After about 4 months of use, this began to happen. I would try to turn on the fan (either Low Med or High) and the fan would barely turn. Sometimes it would work - this lasted for about 5 days. Since then, if you try to turn on the fan, you get no response. Now, the light will still turn on...

Hampton Ceiling fan remote stopped working [ 50 Answers ]

I moved into our house about 1.5 years ago. In one room there is a Hampton Bay ceiling fan which has a remote control. A few weeks ago the whole device stopped working, meaning we can't get either the fan or the light to turn on. We replaced the battery in the remote control, and checked the...

Ceiling light stopped working [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, Last night I turned on the ceiling light in the hallway and it made a popping noise, with a small blue flash at the light, exactly like when a light bulb has just burned out. There are three bulbs in the light fixture and after that none would come on. I changed all three bulbs and the...

Hampton Bay Bath Light Fixture - Not Fan related [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, My Hampton Bay bath light fixture recently started to act up. It has 3 bulbs and when switched on, one bulb would go off for a minute or so then come back on. It does this on and off. I rewired the connectors and then a different bulb would have the problem. I replaced all the bulbs so it's...

View more questions Search