Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    harshil Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 2, 2008, 03:45 PM
    International Student Loan Interest Deduction
    I have been going through this forum and it has really helped me solve a lot of questions. Just one thing I could not find an answer to.

If I have been repaying a student loan (in India) in 2007 with considerable interest payment over the year, can I claim that interest in 1040NR/1040NR-EZ as deduction? I am a citizen of India and was on F1 till Oct 2007 when my status changed to H1-B. I am still planning to use 1040NR-EZ.

Also just in case I am able to deduct the interest paid for the loan, what proof do I need to furnish to IRS. The loan was taken from a bank in India.

Thanks a lot for the help,
    Harshil
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Mar 2, 2008, 10:03 PM
    No the interest on the loan taken from an Indian bank is not deductible, unless the bank made payments directly to your school for tuition fees.
    bjih_86 Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Mar 18, 2009, 06:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by MukatA View Post
    No the interest on the loan taken from an Indian bank is not deductible, unless the bank made payments directly to your school for tuition fees.
    So if I have a student loan from a foreign government (NZ) that paid tuition directly to the institution (in NZ). Can I deduct the interest accrued for 2008 on my 2008 US tax return?
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Mar 18, 2009, 07:06 AM

It must be U.S. institution. You will get 1098-T for tuition and fees paid from the educational institution.
    bjih_86 Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Mar 18, 2009, 07:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by MukatA View Post
    It must be U.S. institution. You will get 1098-T for tuition and fees paid from the educational institution.
    Thanks MukatA!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Student Loan Interest Deduction [ 4 Answers ]

I have 2 student loans, but interest paid on both are under $600 for the year 2005, so I didn't get any 1098E forms. Do I need any evidence to show the interest I'm claiming for adjustment? Such as pay slips which shows the amount of interest paid? Thanks

Another F1 student - Private International Student Loan on 1040-NR-EZ [ 11 Answers ]

I'm in my fourth year of college as an international student. I filed 1040-NR-EZ since my first year since I always had a small income coming from on-campus employment. I financed these past two years of school with Sallie Mae International Student Loans and I was wondering if those will influence...

Student loan interest deduction in 1040NR [ 3 Answers ]

I was on F-1 from August 2004 to September 30th 2006. I was on H1B form October 1 2006 to December 31st 2006. While filing 1040NR, can I claim student loan interest deduction? CINTAX says I cannot since I was not a student on 31st December 2006. Please advice... I would like to mail in...

F1-H1B- Student Loan deduction in 1040NR [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I was on F-1 Visa until September 30th 2006 and converted to H-1B on October 1st 2006. I am using CINTAX to file my reutns and it determined that my tax filing status is non-resident alien and it filled out form 1040NR for me. However, it did not prompt me to enter the student loan interest...

Student loan deduction [ 6 Answers ]

Hi For the year 2005 I was on F1 status. I wanted to deduct my student loan payments. I paid a total interest of $1425 in year 2005. I tried filling the worksheet provided with form 1040 nr ez instructions. According to their calcluations Ican only deduct $ 133 out of 1425 I paid as interest. ...

View more questions Search