Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chace_don_C Posts: 53, Reputation: 1

Dec 30, 2013, 04:06 AM
    Is there a way to tell if a patient will for sure get out of a coma?
    I have a loved one in a coma and well I've herd some things about it but I want to know if there is away to tell if they will make it out okay and/or how long it could potentially take
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Dec 30, 2013, 04:59 AM
    No, there is no way. A short term coma from temporary pressure on the brain is common enough, and that might be days, weeks, a few months.
    There have been some who came out of a coma after many years, either partially or completely. It's rare though, if doctors pretty much agreed that it wasn't going to happen. Sometimes brain wave patterns really do mean there's no hope. Each part of the brain has it's own activity or not. It's something that immediate family can discuss in detail with the neurologist (if this is a case of a long term 'persistent vegetative state.')
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 30, 2013, 08:18 AM
    I wish there was. But no there is no way. I am sorry to hear this.

Dec 30, 2013, 11:43 PM
    What's it mean when someone says your name prior to waking up from a coma?
    My girl friend is in a coma and I got told that she said my name... but she's still in a coma
    jesicariemer Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 31, 2013, 05:17 AM
    Well that's actually a very good sign.. that somewhere in her subconscious she thinks of you
    Expert

Dec 31, 2013, 05:22 AM
    It means that their brain is still functioning.

I know people want to put far too much into the littlest of things. It is all the hope we have.
    current pert

Dec 31, 2013, 05:23 AM
    You asked about this yesterday, but haven't said whether this is a recent coma or long term one. Very important. If she said your name, it sounds recent and hopeful, just temporary. Can you go to the hospital to talk to her and hold her hand? Such things are helpful.
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Dec 31, 2013, 05:47 AM
    chace, if you gave us more information we might be able to give you better advice. What have the doctors said about her condition?

Whether you add more information or not, if you have more questions on this subject, please keep them in this thread. It helps keep the bits and pieces in one place so we have a better understanding of your needs.

Jan 1, 2014, 02:00 AM
    Is it true that when in a coma that you suffer severe pain when shown affection?
    I read that when someone is in a coma that they suffer horrible pain ten times worse as a torture victim and it happens when they are shown affection or even thought about.. is this true? Cause I thought that was the best thing to do was to show you care and to be there for them.
    Expert

Jan 1, 2014, 02:24 AM
    No, of course not, where are you reading such things.
    current pert

Jan 1, 2014, 02:29 AM
    Ridiculous

Jan 1, 2014, 02:53 AM
    I just read it on this random site I don't know what it was.. just been trying to research
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jan 1, 2014, 02:58 AM
    Doctors induce comas just for the purpose of reducing pain and accelerate the healing process.

You came to the right site to get good answers. Stop reading hogwash !

Jan 1, 2014, 03:18 AM
    She wasn't induced...

She was in a bad car accident

Oops forgot to mention I was asking this cause my girlfriend is in a coma...
    current pert

Jan 1, 2014, 03:45 AM
    WHEN was the accident?
    I told you before that it is important to know if this is short term or long term.
    And to go see her, and hold her hand, if you are allowed. You might not be if only immediate family are so far.

Jan 1, 2014, 06:57 PM
    It was on Sunday
    Expert

Jan 2, 2014, 01:11 AM
    The internet says that Bill Clinton has lunch with Space aliens at the White house. You have to look at the sources of information.
    The best thing for a comma patient can be having a love one near.

I am sorry for the pain you are going though, but you are not really giving clean info as to the issues and problems.

Jan 2, 2014, 02:02 AM
    Yeah sorry I'm just going through a lot so I tend to forget some things
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jan 2, 2014, 02:10 AM
    Chace, I'm sorry your girlfriend is in a coma. However, if she were in a true coma she would not be able to speak your name.

As far as how long comas last, each one is individual. There is no way we could know how long hers will last. Her neurologist won't even know how long her coma will last.

Jan 2, 2014, 03:03 AM
    Yes she could, my aunt is educated in medical and she said that it is possible

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Dr. Patient relationship, disputed by patient [ 6 Answers ]

Recent visit to Dr. (in question) resulted in Dr.'s veiled threat of not covering patient under current ins program if said patient did not accept PA 's assessments of said patient condition, in plain words " if I didn't accept the PA working with said Dr. he would not accept me as a patient and...

Hamster in a coma. [ 4 Answers ]

We think my little sister's hamster is in a coma. He hasn't been looking very well, and today when I got back from college, he was lying on his back, and at first I thought he was dead. Upon closer inspection, I found that he was breathing, and occasionally, he moves his paws. We don't know what is...

View more questions Search