Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Independent Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Apr 17, 2006, 09:56 AM
    State taxes--source of income/residency
    Hi

So I was a student in NJ till last June (I'm still on F-1 from India), currently doing OPT in IL. I received a fellowship award to come work in IL for 11 months--the income was reported on 1099-MISC box 3. I'm filing as an independent contractor for my federal return. The non-profit that gave me the income has their office in NJ, but I have not worked there at all, as the money was given entirely for work done in Chicago.

My question is-- for my state returns, is this income NJ source income? i.e do I need to file a part-year non-resident return there? And then, claim a credit for taxes paid there in my IL part-yr resident return? Or can I just file the IL return and pay the taxes here? ( I will anyway be filing a part-yr NJ resident form as I received some income in the first half of the year)

Thanks!
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 17, 2006, 06:37 PM
    If you earned the income in Chicago, then that is Illinois-based income and you owe taxes ONLY to Illinois. Do not claim the 1099 income on a NJ return.
    Independent Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Apr 18, 2006, 08:34 AM
    great! I filed yesterday afternoon after spending the morning searching through websites, and deciding that shld be the right answer-- so I'm glad I don't need to go back and re-do mistakes! =)

Thanks for the help!
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 18, 2006, 10:01 AM
    Glad to help!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Taxes for other income [ 1 Answers ]

One of my relatives, a green-card holder, provides babysitter for my 9-years-old son during this summer break. I have full-time job, while she does not work. I will pay her $2000 in total, and she helps me from 9am to 6pm every day. Do I need to file something related to taxes? For example 1099,...

What state would I pay income tax in? [ 1 Answers ]

If I worked in one state but lived in another, which one would I pay income tax in? Sates would prob be Vermont and New Hampshire, or MA and NH.

No state income tax [ 1 Answers ]

What other state besides Tennessee does not have a state income tax on individual earnings?

Source of income different from state of work and residence [ 1 Answers ]

I was in F1- OPT from feb 1 of 2005 and got employed by a firm in NJ and am working as a IT tech support for a client in Nashville ,TN. I have been living in TN for about an year now. I have been paying the federal tax (15%) and also the NJ state tax till date. From August I have transferred to an...

View more questions Search