Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    KimKat Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 14, 2008, 07:26 PM
    Partial power outage
    Last night before bed I thought I was turning off the surge protector to my TV/DVD/HD Cable Box (which was humming and running warm since I got it 2 weeks ago). When I hit the button - the displays went off and I thought all was well and went to bed. This morning when I got up and went to turn on the surge protector I realized that I had hit the reset button instead of the power button and there was no power. No power in the room on 3 sides of the room and no power in the two ajoining rooms on the common walls. I checked breakers and nothing was tripped. Reset main and then went top to bottom on box. Nothing. Called power company and they came out - all breakers register fine - all the outlets in the affected areas read 0. He said I had a broken wire somewhere. Any ideas on where to start?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 14, 2008, 07:47 PM
    Start by opening the outlet cover nearest to the panel and work your way downstream. If you have a meter check the hot or fat blade for power by inserting the probe in the fat blade and ground the other probe to the box or rgound wire, if your boxes are grounded. This will help you to determine if the broken wire is the neutral or the hot.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Partial electrical outage [ 4 Answers ]

I have a partial electrical outage in my home -- mainly my master bedroom. A few days before the electricity went out (overhead and plugs) there was a strong order like stagnet water or a fish pond. After the lights went out, the smell disappeared.

AC after power outage [ 2 Answers ]

After coming back from a family trip, we found that there had been a power outage. Several breakers were off position and some electronics (especially telephone) are completely dead. Now, after resetting the breakers, all the power problems are OK except AC. The control panel of AC seems...

Power outage Generators [ 7 Answers ]

Got my house pretty well up ;and running, with your help.. Today was informed, Electricity will soon be cut to 4 hrs a day.. so back up generator may be the answer.. Question is, how to tell what size genarator should I get.. Got a 150 Amp Svc, Elect stove, Washer, dryer, water htr, AC about 4...

Partial power outage [ 3 Answers ]

At Any Given Time The Power Will Go Out Only In The Living Room (outlets, Fans, Lights Etc.) And Also A Couple Of The Outlets In The Kitchen That Include The Refrigerator, Stove And 2 Add'l Outlets, All Others Work. Also The Ac Goes Out. The Rest Of The House Works. We Have A Devise That...

Worker's Safety during a power outage [ 4 Answers ]

How long can an employer in CA keep workers at a site, restaurant, during a power outage? Specifically, this power outage happens in the evening and no lights are on, no fire alarm is working and the emergency lights are the only illumination.

View more questions Search