Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    USTX5454 Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Nov 7, 2018, 05:33 PM
    Citibank nre account in fbar?
    I am in US and filing FBAR with INDIAN bank ACCOUNTS (LIC policies mainly). I have CITIBANK NRE and NRO accounts. I was told citibank has branch in USA and hence no need to include them in FBAR. Is it so?

Can someone confirm if this understanding is correct?

I do get 1099 interest forms from citibank and I have been including them in tax filling along with my W2.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Nov 8, 2018, 08:14 AM
    Because Citibank is a U.S. bank from which you are receiving Firm 1099-INT, you have NO requirement to file an FBAR for your accounts in Citibank India.
    USTX5454 Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Nov 9, 2018, 07:37 AM
    Thanks for the response...

But recently my spouse (joint holder) got letter to submit "CRS-Individual-Self-Certification-Form" from Citibank. Was wondering why they sent letter only for one person.. Also every year we do submit KYC forms and address change forms (if changed).
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Nov 9, 2018, 07:41 AM
    The
    CRS-Individual-Self-Certification-Form seems to be an internal requirement. I have dealt with Citibank with other clients, so I KNOW their accounts do NOT have to be included on the FBAR.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

FBAR and interest from money in someone's else foreign bank account [ 3 Answers ]

My wife's father has a foreign bank account in which my wife has deposited 50% of the funds. 50% of the money is hers but the bank account is not in her name and she has no signature authority. FBAR Does my wife need to report this account on her FBAR? Interest earned The interest from...

FBAR for retirement account [ 2 Answers ]

Do I need to report my foreign retirement account under the foreign account report act using FBAR?

- FBAR - Wire transfer to foreign account as loan [ 5 Answers ]

Hi I have a foreign account. In 2008 I lost my job and I had to borrow money from my friend to pay installments on my retirement home in the foreign country. Since the loan was payable in foreign country my friend wired the money to my foreign back account using which I paid my home. I need to...

FBAR on inheritance $ kept in a foreign account [ 2 Answers ]

My parents have an account in Hong Kong that was set up to receive the inheritance $ from my mom's parents when they passed. The account has been idle except when they visited in Hong Kong in 2003(?) and use some of the $ for spending $ while they visited. They never filed any FBAR or FORM 3520...

I am being sued by Citibank, law says they can freeze bank account [ 6 Answers ]

Citibank has sued me, I live in Texas so the one common thing I see is they can freeze your bank account? If so, how does one pay for rent, living expenses and other bills that we need to pay every month to live on?

View more questions Search