Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BKKexpat Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Feb 17, 2014, 11:28 PM
    FBAR and interest from money in someone's else foreign bank account
    My wife's father has a foreign bank account in which my wife has deposited 50% of the funds. 50% of the money is hers but the bank account is not in her name and she has no signature authority.

FBAR
    Does my wife need to report this account on her FBAR?

Interest earned
    The interest from this account is auto-transferred to another account of my wife's father. 50% of the interest earned is my wife's but it is in the transfer account and has not been removed. Do we need to report this interest as income on our 1040 Schedule B? If it should be reported, do we report only the portion of the interest (50%) that was earned from my wife's 50% of the money in the interest earning account?

Thank you in advance for anyone's help!
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 17, 2014, 11:37 PM
    Yes to all questions.
    BKKexpat Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Feb 18, 2014, 11:07 PM
    Thank you AtlantaTaxExpert!
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 18, 2014, 11:32 PM
    Glad to help!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Transfer funds from my foreign bank account to my USA bank account [ 1 Answers ]

I am planning to transfer over $12,000 funds from my foreign bank account to my USA bank account. Would IRS tax me for the transfer amount even though it is my life time saving. TARO

Money received in foreign country in foreign bank account [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, 1. If I receive money from my father as a gift in Indian in my Indian Bank Account,will it be considered as income and does it need to be reported to IRS as a taxable income?The amount is less than 30k USD. 2. Sometimes I send money to my parents account in India(I do not have...

J1 with resident alien tax status - how to file interest from foreign bank account? [ 3 Answers ]

I was on a J1 visa in the US in 2010 but it was my third year, which makes me resident alien for 2010 taxes. As resident I need to file form 1040, including interest earned on my home bank account (in Germany) - I filed 1040EZ first but it is indicated that I have to use 1040 if my total amount of...

- FBAR - Wire transfer to foreign account as loan [ 5 Answers ]

Hi I have a foreign account. In 2008 I lost my job and I had to borrow money from my friend to pay installments on my retirement home in the foreign country. Since the loan was payable in foreign country my friend wired the money to my foreign back account using which I paid my home. I need to...

FBAR on inheritance $ kept in a foreign account [ 2 Answers ]

My parents have an account in Hong Kong that was set up to receive the inheritance $ from my mom's parents when they passed. The account has been idle except when they visited in Hong Kong in 2003(?) and use some of the $ for spending $ while they visited. They never filed any FBAR or FORM 3520...

View more questions Search