Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    srt4 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Oct 13, 2012, 09:55 AM
    Water backup in basement shower when kitchen sink drains fast but not when drains slo
    House is 3 years new, purchased it a year ago (2011), started smelling bad odour, like rotten eggs after we moved.The problem was intermitten, The smell started in the kitchen sink upstairs and then ended up in the basement.After a long while we realized that when we drain the kitchen sink (free flow) we ended up with a backup in the shower basement.But if the water was let out slowly no problem, no smell or backup ( no smell in kitchen sink or backup and smell in basement shower.

We got a plumber in to have a look and he ended up snaking the main line took the toilet off ( in basement opposite the shower stall) and told me he went out 50 feet. Next day we did the dishes and same thing happened, smell and backed up in basement.

Called him again this time he snaked the shower line ( unscrewd the top and snaked and he said went 20 feet. Then we filled the upstairs sink with water and let it out and yes it backed up pretty bad, so we filled the sink again but this time we let the water out slowly and no problem.Then the plumber dumped a 5 gallon pail in the basement shower and it drain normally, he said since the 5 gallons of water drain with no problems there was no partial blockage and the problem is in his opinion "Hydraulic Gradient/gradience". So now every time we do dishes we let the water out slowly, seems to work OK.

I still suspect there is a problem please help

Thank you
    Charles
    P.S. In your professional opinion is there still a blockage even though we had it snaked twice
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Oct 13, 2012, 12:29 PM
    Your kitchen drain is combined with shower drain - and than this common drain is connected to toilet drain.

Snaking through toilet won't do too much. You need to snake through shower drain - or clean out that allows you access to that drain. It may be 20' apart (or less) or it may be lot further down the slope. Also, make sure your plumber uses correct cutting knife attached to his snake.

Kitchen drain is the dirtiest drain in house. It should never been combined with shower drain. I suggest you refrain from using garbage disposer too much. If you use it - or do dishes - use LOTs of hot water to flush don't the food and grease. Hot water will melt grease and will carry it further down the pipe preventing it from solidifying on its way to the bigger diameter drain.

Hope that helps. Back to you. Milo
    srt4 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Oct 13, 2012, 01:08 PM
    Thank you for such a quick response Milo.

The second time the plumber came back he did snake through the shower drain but not through the clean out. He said he went out 20 feet but as I said still the problem persist.

I will use lots of hot water, so you think I should call the plumber back and ask him to snake the clean out

Thanks again Milo for your input
    Plumbing Expert

Oct 13, 2012, 01:11 PM
    We are dealing with sludge from kitchen drain. If he didn't use correct tip, the pipe will enclosed again - as he is pulling his snake out.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 14, 2012, 07:09 AM
    We are dealing with sludge from kitchen drain. If he didn't use correct tip, the pipe will enclosed again - as he is pulling his snake out.
    Right on Milo! Good catch! Milo called it! Get your plumber back to finish the job.
    Here are some auger tips, (see image) If he used a straight flex auger tip that's exactly what happened. What he needs is a tip that will break through the sludge and loosen it up. A chain knocker or a cutter tip comes to mind. After snaking pour a large pan of boiling water down to flush the sludge out into the main. Good luck. Tom
    Attached Images

Plumbing Expert

Oct 14, 2012, 09:20 AM
    Thank you Tom for the visual as well as for your additional advice. Yes, indeed, Chain Knocker is the #1 choice than Drop Head Auger. All other bits will not work on sludge.

Milo

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Kitchen sink drains into laundry tub in basement [ 2 Answers ]

Both basement laundry tubs are filled with water. After bailing water and getting tubs dry,I discovered that water from the kitchen sink (directly above tubs)is flowing into them. What should I do?

Basement sink backing up with food when kitchen sink drains a lot of water [ 15 Answers ]

Whenever a large volume of water goes down my kitchen sink drain, it causes a back up in my basement sink, with food particles coming up as well. The basement sink is located directly beneath my kitchen sink. Based on some advice posted in similar threads, I decided to the snake the line between my...

Smelly drains in shower and kitchen sink [ 1 Answers ]

I saw the responses for the smelly drains, my question is, I am on a septic system and I am concerned about pouring so much bleach into it. We are having problems in the main bathroom shower. The septic system is right outside our bedroom and the entire house smells of soap scum and sewer. We...

Drains smell from all drains in house - specifically kitchen [ 7 Answers ]

Hello everyone, I'm hoping someone can help me before I call in the professionals, as I like to try and deal with things myself. I've just moved into a new house and it has some bad drain smells. Primarily, but not exclusively these are emanating from the kitchen. They don't smell...

Kitchen Sink with two horizontal drains [ 1 Answers ]

:confused: Bought a house recently. Kitchen sink a mess. I have never seen a kitchen sink with two drains; one per basket. Each basket has a tailpiece and P-trap that goes to the horizontal drain pipe. I hooked up my new sink the way the old one was and I am having a lot of trouble. I can...

View more questions Search