Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vcavina Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Jan 5, 2007, 12:24 PM
    Replacement of electric unit with gas unit in mobile home
    #1 Dec 27, 2006, 10:32 PM
    vcavina

Electrical wall heater in single wide mobile home

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One of the single wide mobile homes in the park I supervise has an electrical wall heater and the elctrical bills have been astronomical, due probably to the poor insulation. Another reason, I guess, could be the age of the heater.

The HVAC people that work for us told us that there is no problem with the unit and they suggested though to look into putting a gas unit.

My concern is that gas units have different code requirements than electrical, such as the 3inch space on each side and the 6 inches from the door and 30 inches space in front to service the unit. There is 30inches space ( it's located in the hall way of the MH) but there is no 3 inches inside the space.

Another issue that comes into my mind is that electrical units have different technical requirements as far as air intake etc.

My question is: Can we replace the unit electrical with gas unit , and do they manufacture gas units for MH that can replace electrical units, and does the code permits that?

Any other advice is welcomed.

Thanks

Vcavina
    NorthernHeat Posts: 1,455, Reputation: 132
    Ultra Member

Jan 5, 2007, 01:33 PM
    Well, firrst it must be a gas furnace made for mobile homes. Secondly do you have ductwork? Electric furnaces are 100% efficient and age won't change that, a good cleaning once in a while is all that is needed. Also last year in our area, electric furnaces where about the same as a 70+% efficient gas mobile home furnace to operate. I would have to study whether or not the pay off is there before I changed it.
    vcavina Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Jan 5, 2007, 02:57 PM
    Thanks a bunch for your answer. I think that the insulation then might be the culprit. The one that is for a mobile home I think is a Coleman and has two ducts, one for intake/combustion and the other for the exaust if I am correct. I think they quoted last year around $3,000.
    Thanks again
    Vcavina

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Electric Coleman Mobile home furnace [ 6 Answers ]

The blower fan keeps running and will stop until the breaker is shut off for a while. It may run fine through its complete cycles for a day or two, but will do it again! The furnace hasn't been used for about 4 years. What needs fixed or replaced, and where do I find these parts? The trailer was...

Through wall A.C. Unit replacement [ 1 Answers ]

I have an existing through wall unit. Can I replace it using a same size window unit,using the existing sleave in the wall. Or are the vent holes different in a wall unit vs. a window unit?

Help with home a/c unit [ 5 Answers ]

I am wondering if any one can help me? Our a/c system dose not cool like it should.I work on automobile a/c systems so I know a little about how a/c systems work. I am pretty sure the two systems are basically the same.Right or wrong? We just moved into the house about eight months ago and I just...

Air/Heating Unit (Electric) Suddenly stopped working [ 5 Answers ]

Hello In July we replaced the motor and the relay switch on the unit outside the house. The unit had been running fine. Sept. 14 it was a little muggy in the house so I turned the thermostat down to 72 to kick the air on. Nothing happened all I heard was a "click" which would normally start the...

View more questions Search