Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jeanb Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 26, 2006, 05:40 PM
    Heating system
    1. What would cause my copper hotwater pipes to blacken with a sooty powder? We removed a wall during remodeling and found the pipes with a black sooty powder. It comes off on to your hand when touched.
    Plus, we found a plug with blackened cooper also..?
    Any help would be appreciated.

2. What would cause my honeywell rectangle thermostat to engage to egnite the oil burner, shut off within 1 min.. . on then off on then off again. The heat does does not come on long enough. I tried moving the duration setting inside the box to no avail. Either it comes on and off or not at all.

HELP! :(
    NorthernHeat Posts: 1,455, Reputation: 132
    Ultra Member

Dec 26, 2006, 08:23 PM
    Are you sure the soot is not mold that has grown in the moiture of a condensating copper pipe? 2. I'm guessing, the problem may be in furnace and not the thermostat.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hot water heating system [ 3 Answers ]

Thans for your help in adavance, I have a hot water heating system boiler with a red pump at the side of the boiler. I would like to know does the pump pushes the water through the System.or pull the water back to the boiler.:rolleyes:

Hydronic heating system [ 2 Answers ]

I'm a licensed electrician that's been asked to hook up a 4 zone hydronic heating system which I have never worked with before. It's a mighty therm boiler model HH-PH, using RIB2041D relays 24 volt thermostat and a side wall vent. I've got all the 120 volt hook-up done and the relays hooked in...

Water heating system [ 1 Answers ]

I am building a new home (2800 sf each level main and basement) and will be doing a manifold distribution system with PEX piping. With the length of the house, I was planning on a two water heater system. Both 50 gal electric plumbed in tandem. If this seems feasible, would I just supply the...

Burping heating system [ 5 Answers ]

Last month I had several visits from my oil service people because of no heat in one of my zones (oil-fired, hot water, 3-Zone system). The solution was to bleed the system until the line essentially burped. Since those visits I've had to burp the lines myself (watched the techs carefully when they...

View more questions Search