Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    coloradogiant Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 23, 2006, 11:59 AM
    Carrier only sometimes starts 1st try?
    Hello -

I have a carrier furnace (guessing 5-7 years old) that often doesn't start the 1st try. I hear the combustion fan come on, then the electric ignitor glows bright red, I hear a click and the burners kick on. Sometimes it works beautifully, other times it seems to sputter a few times then the flames stop. The house fan kicks on for 90 seconds then the cycle begins again - from what I've seen it always starts the 2nd time.

After this point, the light blinks 3-4 which indicates a flame sensing problem. Apparently this can mean many things, but most commonly it means the flame sensor is dirty. I have removed this sensor 3 times and scrubbed down with sand paper, hasn't seemed to make much of a difference.

To make trouble shooting this easier, I have captures 3 videos:

Video 1: Successful start - furnace Starts Fine. Cover is off so its easy to see the flames. Make sure to have your sound on!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2vk2OFzltM

Video 2: Semi Successful Start - furnace Starts after a brief stutter. Cover is off so its easy to see the flames. Make sure to have your sound on!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBuy96l_ryc

Video 3: Failed start - furnace fails to start. Cover is on - for some reason I am yet to get it to fail with the cover off. Make sure to have your sound on!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZ-wZPHZbtQ

Any thoughts?? Should I be worried? Is it time to get someone out here to look at this (and if so any idea what they might be replacing so I don't get totally screwed and let them replace the whole thing - and can anyone even give a ballpark figure on what a repair trip might cost) - or is there something I should be checking myself?

Thanks!
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Dec 23, 2006, 06:06 PM
    Put a meter on the gas valve wires and check to see if you have a steady 24 volts while the burner is starting and during the run. Intermittent problems are the worst to find. Also check and clean the sensor if this unit has one.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1st time buyer questions.. [ 5 Answers ]

I am just about to have my home inspected before the closing happens.. 1... I noticed that the hot water heater is made by a company that went out of business 10-15 years ago and the condition of the heaters effectiveness is in question... not to sound cheap, but do I have the right to have the...

1st and/or 2nd foreclosure [ 2 Answers ]

My wife and I recently purchased a new home and rented out our original home... within a few weeks the renters left... we are now stuck with a 1st and 2nd on the first home and a new mortgage on our new home... the first home is maxed out on equity... we can't afford a 1st and 2nd and our newest...

1st date in about 3 months tomorrow! [ 10 Answers ]

A really cute girl I have been flirting around with for a while, and finally going out on of all things a FOOTBALL date... wow... speachless. We are going out for a date to watch football all day together... can't believe it! She is only 21, but I'm only 25, so shouldn't be a big deal. The only...

Do I really need to pay my tax from May 1st, 2006. [ 2 Answers ]

I came to USA with a H1B visa in May, 2005. Someone told me that person with H1B visa doesn’t pay the state and federal taxes at the first three years. But the director of Human Resources in my center told me that I will have to start paying federal and state taxes on May 1st. Can you help me and...

1ST Floor Bath addition [ 5 Answers ]

I am hoping someone can offer advice. I currently live in the NE in a 1/2 double home that is 80+ yrs old. Approx. 25 yrs ago an additional room was added to rear of first floor (nothing is above this room). This room currently has a large sink. I would like to/in process of gutting the room to...

View more questions Search