Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    planoshelton Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 22, 2006, 05:55 PM
    What size AC is needed for my home?
    My house has 1950 square feet and is a single story. The house is a Fox & Jacobs house built in the early '70s. The current A/C unit is a 3 ton and I believe it is the original unit. I live in the Dallas, TX area (Very hot in the summer). It is time to get a new unit. Should I get a 3.5 ton or a 4 ton?
    candykitten70 Posts: 34, Reputation: 5

Dec 22, 2006, 08:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by planoshelton
    My house has 1950 square feet and is a single story. The house is a Fox & Jacobs house built in the early '70s. The current A/C unit is a 3 ton and I believe it is the original unit. I live in the Dallas, TX area (Very hot in the summer). It is time to get a new unit. Should I get a 3.5 ton or a 4 ton?
    Recommended size for your sq ft would be a 4-5 ton unit
    RichardBondMan Posts: 832, Reputation: 66

Dec 22, 2006, 08:40 PM
    CandyKitten's answer seems about right, I am not a contractor but my HVAC contractor advised me 3 ton for a 1600 sq ft home one story located on the Gulf Coast of AL. When you shop, ask the contractor. He is or should be trained to answer correctly.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 22, 2006, 09:05 PM
    How well does the current unit work, or at least when it was newer and in good shape? If it was ever able to do the job, it would be a mistake to replace it with a larger unit. How big of a unit you need depends on some other factors that the size of your house. A tight, well insulated house with plenty of shade may do fine with a unit on the small side.

On the other hand, if the old unit ran and ran, but never cooled the house very well, yes, a bigger unit.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do you size a home for ac [ 1 Answers ]

I know how to use the formula of .40 per square foot on a regular home and .45 per square foot on a drafty home for heat, but what formula do you use to calculate air conditioning per square feet. Also how do you know how many cfm's you need per room when you are calculating what size boot you need...

Advice needed please on home hair colouring [ 1 Answers ]

Hi All, I used to have a fantastic hairdresser who came to my home every 6 weeks to colour my hair for 10 years, I loved how she did it, but unfortunately she had to move away because of her husbands job. This has been over 6 years and I have tried unsuccessfully to re-create the colour myself at...

Are fresh air returns needed in a home system? [ 5 Answers ]

I am replacing my old existing AC/heating unit and my contractor recommended not putting in a fresh air return in the system. My impression is that one is needed. Our house was built in '64 and is not air tight. I want to insure we do not have a sick house syndrome. Any educated information would...

Size of Copper/pvc inside new home to max pressure from 3,000 gl tank on hill [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am building a new home in the country and have a 3000 gallon water tank 75 verticle above my (future) second story. I was going to have either 2" sch 40 pvc or 1 1/4" come down the 160 feet to my home. And then I wanted to know what is the largest copper pipe I could use inside the home to...

60 amp 230volt home circuit needed [ 3 Answers ]

I'm going to be running a Plasma Cutter and 230V Tig welder. The plasma cutter requires between 55-60 amps maximum. I was wondering what I need to do in order to run a 230 volt, 60 amp circuit from garage mounted circuit panel, to an external receptacle outside of my basement on a concrete...

View more questions Search