Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lediab81 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 13, 2010, 03:59 PM
    NY-car reverses in traffic lane -hits car backing out of parking space?whose fault?
    Incident occurred in ny
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 13, 2010, 04:05 PM

If you were going against the flow of traffic, it was your fault.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 13, 2010, 04:05 PM
    I'd guess the backing-out driver is guilty of not making sure the way was completely clear. The place where it occurred has nothing to do with it; the same would be true in Illinois.

May 13, 2010, 04:26 PM
    Does anyone have any ny case law on who would be liable: the car reversing in the traffic lane at a shopping center or the person reversing out of parking space?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 13, 2010, 04:53 PM

The person reversing out of parking space, under law, has to be sure that the lane of traffic is clear of "on coming" traffic.
    They would not even be looking at a car or for a car traveling the wrong way in the lane ( going in reverse)

Part of the issue not explained is why the car was going in reverse in the flow of traffic.

The car reversing would since they hold the problem of making sure then going the wrong way in the flow of traffic it is clear.

The court will look at specific traffic laws of the state.

May 13, 2010, 06:43 PM

The person going backwards was not literally in the street she was in a shopping center reversing so a car in front of her could back out of their parking spot
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 13, 2010, 06:53 PM
    A Martindale-Hubbell lawyers site says this --

If you were backing out of a parking spot and hit a car, you would be at fault since you failed to use reasonable care when backing out of your spot. Even though the person may not have had their lights on or was driving very quickly, because they had the right of way, they're not at fault.

The car that backed up had the right-of-way, being in the traffic lane of the lot, and allegedly checked to make sure he could back up before he did, but didn't realize another car would back out of a parking spot and hit him (or be in his way).
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 14, 2010, 04:18 AM

What WG is saying is correct in most cases. But I'm not sure that would fly in this case. One point not mentioned, is whether the traffic lane was 2-way. If the traffic lane was 1-way, the driver backing out of the spot would have a reasonable expectation that traffic would only be coming from one direction.

Lets hear the full situation rather than bits and pieces. Were both cars insured? Did you turn this over to your insurance carrier? If so, what are they saying?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I hit one car in the parking lot when I am reversing my car [ 6 Answers ]

The other car got some scratches at bumper and tail light got damgaed only so my question is that does it affect my pubilc record and what type of point will I get,does it required any police report for claims?

We were hit by a car and pushed into another car. Whose at fault? [ 4 Answers ]

We were hit by a car and pushed into another lane and hit a car, the police report states this and the officer said it was not our fault, but the lady we hit ,insurance is coming after us. Can we fight this or do we have to pay for it. We live in TN.

Car was hit by another car when reversed from the parking lot [ 19 Answers ]

My car was parked on one-side of parking lot with one-way aisle. When I reversed my car to the middle of the aisle, I stopped there as I found a car from the parking lot behind my car rapidly reversed and hit on my car. My car was damaged with a deep dent and caused problem with the light-signal...

Parked car/moving car crash - who is at fault? [ 13 Answers ]

I was parked in a parking lot. Opened my car door, car speeds into adjacent space, clips my door. Woman exits screaming, crying, hysterical, her husband's wallet has just been stolen, he will kill her etc. Minimal damage to the inside of my door, but it's $550 (just over my deductible) she has a...

View more questions Search