Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Brittgee Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 19, 2006, 02:11 PM
    Kenmore Elite washer won't drain
    My Kenmore Elite Catalyst washer Model #11020096992 is now five years old. I have had nothing but problems with this supposed "top of the line" product. We probably could have purchased another washer or two by now. The most recent problem is that it won't drain during the rinse and spin cycle. I have to turn the washer off and let it cool down for about a half hour, then run the rinse and spin cycle. There is also a burning smell. Any help or ideas would be appreciated.
    theosmith Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 14, 2006, 08:00 AM
    I've been trying to research the same problem. I found an older post where Applguy recommends looking at the timer, as Whirlpool had a known problem,and the timer affects how a couple of motor windings are energized. My problem is that my washer has one of those new electronic interfaces, so it doesn't have a timer, per see, I think. Also, the circuit board isn't indicating errors, so I'm not sure what the problem is now. I've replaced the motor once already, so I don't believe that that is really the root problem.

Good luck, please post if you find a solution

Equally frustrated w/ Kenmore Elite Catalyst

Sep 14, 2006, 09:37 PM
    After I posted this, I also got a very loud noise at the end of the spin cycle. I was told that it was probably the motor and was advised to spend the repair money on a new washer. I couldn't even donate this washer to anyone - too expensive to repair. I never got any error messages either. I have now bought a new washer from Costco (even though it is a Whirlpool) it has a 2 year warranty and dials, but it's washes the clothes just fine! Hope you can solve your problem, mine just kept repeating - not worth fixing in the long run.
    classactdesign Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 18, 2006, 06:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Brittgee
    My Kenmore Elite Catalyst washer Model #11020096992 is now five years old. I have had nothing but problems with this supposed "top of the line" product. We probably could have purchased another washer or two by now. The most recent problem is that it won't drain during the rinse and spin cycle. I have to turn the washer off and let it cool down for about a half hour, then run the rinse and spin cycle. There is also a burning smell. Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

Hey, I have the same problem... the washer got to the rinse cycle and nothing... can you imagine that? I have had mine in storage for 2 years because I was tired of getting it fixed, but didn't have the heart to throw the %$^&**() thing out. The last repair quote I got was about $500.00 for a new board. So, I sent the motherboard to http://www.pcbr.biz/ and had it repaired for 125.00. I put the board back in and now it spins and fills with water, but still does not drain when it gets to the drain cycle. Any suggestions, or should I toss the %$()*)& thing and buy another elcheapo washer... I will NEVER buy anything else Whirpool.!

Sep 19, 2006, 11:26 AM
    I chose the new washer after checking out Consumer Reports. I would not have bought anything from Kenmore or Whirlpool, but I feel that it is the Catalyst model that is the problem.
    cyber_rigger Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 11, 2007, 11:13 PM

I just got through fixing mine.

Mine is a Kenmore Elite with the mechanical timer.
    I also had the burning smell.

The burning smell was from fried electrical switch contacts in the mechanical timer.

Here is my theory on the failure.
    The brake for the spin cycle is too strong and gets stuck.
    The motor stalls at spin startup and fries several contacts in the timer.
    The charred contacts no longer work.

HOW I FIXED IT (for me)

1. I fixed the timer:

I took the timer apart and scraped clean the charred contacts
    (very difficult, not recommended).
    I recommend buying a new timer instead, about $100.

2. Then I weakened the brake so it would not stick:

I pulled the agitator, then the gearbox/motor.
    Attached to the bottom side of the tank is the brake.
    It's a drum brake, similar to a car brake.
    I shortened the brake spring about 1/4".

3. I put everything back together (at least 5 times).

The spin takes a few extra seconds to stop but it works (so far).

Warning, this modification may make a dangerous machine.
    Use this information at your own risk.

Apr 12, 2007, 11:35 AM
    I ended up buying a new washer, hope yours continues to work. That fix would have been too much for me to do anyway.
    cyber_rigger Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 13, 2007, 12:31 PM
    I ended up buying a new washer, hope yours continues to work. That fix would have been too much for me to do anyway.

Thanks for your original post. It helped me diagnose my washer.
    Seeing the same symptoms again (burning smell, loud noise at end of spin)
    Made me realize that this could be a design problem
    And NOT normal wear and tear.
    My washer also made a loud screeching, shaking stop (when it did spin).
    This made me suspect the brake was locking.

After shortening the brake spring, mine now makes a soft quiet stop.
    Love Machine Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 26, 2010, 08:45 PM
    If you are getting an F2 error message or a SUD error message, and are observing some water in the tub that is not draining at end of cycle, and your washi cycle is taking a lot longer that normal to complete,then here is what to do.

This solution is easy, and will take no more that 15 minutes, from start to finish, and most of that time is in the --prep-- (getting tools, towels, etc.). This WILL save you a expensive service call.

There are 3 small 9/32 hex head screws that hold the front panel on. The front panel I'm speaking of is --below-- the washer window.
    These screws can be found::

a. if you have the optional washer storage drawer unit, they can be found by opening the drawer, and observing the 3 screws (left, middle, and right side, that hold the front panel on.
    Or
    b. if you Don't have the optional drawer assembly, then they are found on the front, bottom, of the washer, again holding the front panel on the washer.

1. unscrew the 3 hex head screws (9/32 socket or nut driver size)
    2. lower/remove the front panel, and set it asisde on some towels, so as not to scratch the front panel.
    3. get something now to soak up at least a gallon of water that WILL empty onto the floor.
    4. observe large WHITE drain cap, at front center of washer.
    5. unscew white drain cap --WARNING-- lots of water WILL drain out when you loosen the white cap. Once all the water is out, remove and take out the filter trap.
    6. clean out the front and bottom of the filter trap. I'm sure lint, and gosh knows what else have cloged some of the holes
    7. wipe out the inside of the housing for the filter
    Trap (observe lots of -gunk- there too).
    8 put back in filter trap, tighten white cap, and put front panel on washer with same 9/32 screws you took off earlier.

Now run a test --express wash-- cycle, just to be sure all is OK.

Hope this step by step was helpful... I sure thought is was! Do not underestimate how much water is in there to drain. I would have ten towels ready!

Pay if forward
    Mommy4850 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 4, 2010, 03:23 AM
    I had this same problem and it ended up being small clothes (baby clothes) that the washer had "eaten" and they were all stuck in the drain pipe. I had someone come remove them and it worked fine. But this could have been dangerous and caused a major water problem.
    Mommy4850 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 4, 2010, 03:23 AM
    I had this same problem and it ended up being small clothes (baby clothes) that the washer had "eaten" and they were all stuck in the drain pipe. I had someone come remove them and it worked fine. But this could have been dangerous and caused a major water problem.
    connilawrence Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 5, 2010, 09:39 AM
    Thanks so much! My husband just followed your directions. Found a ton of change! Hopefully that is our problem.

Do you know how to check the drain pipe for clothes.

If our problem is still here do you have any other ideas. He is running the cycle now...

Conni

Quote Originally Posted by Love Machine View Post
    If you are getting an F2 error message or a SUD error message, and are observing some water in the tub that is not draining at end of cycle, and your washi cycle is taking a lot longer that normal to complete,then here is what to do.

This solution is easy, and will take no more that 15 minutes, from start to finish, and most of that time is in the --prep-- (getting tools, towels, etc.). This WILL save you a expensive service call.

There are 3 small 9/32 hex head screws that hold the front panel on. The front panel I'm speaking of is --below-- the washer window.
    These screws can be found::

a. if you have the optional washer storage drawer unit,, they can be found by opening the drawer, and observing the 3 screws (left, middle, and right side, that hold the front panel on.
    or
    b. if you DONT have the optional drawer assembly, then they are found on the front, bottom, of the washer, again holding the front panel on the washer.

1. unscrew the 3 hex head screws (9/32 socket or nut driver size)
    2. lower/remove the front panel, and set it asisde on some towels, so as not to scratch the front panel.
    3. get something now to soak up at least a gallon of water that WILL empty onto the floor.
    4. observe large WHITE drain cap, at front center of washer.
    5. unscew white drain cap --WARNING-- lots of water WILL drain out when you loosen the white cap. Once all the water is out, remove and take out the filter trap.
    6. clean out the front and bottom of the filter trap. I'm sure lint, and gosh knows what else have cloged some of the holes
    7. wipe out the inside of the housing for the filter
    trap (observe lots of -gunk- there too).
    8 put back in filter trap, tighten white cap, and put front panel on washer with same 9/32 screws you took off earlier.

Now run a test --express wash-- cycle, just to be sure all is OK.

Hope this step by step was helpful... I sure thought is was! Do not underestimate how much water is in there to drain. I would have ten towels ready!

Pay if forward
    connilawrence Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 5, 2010, 09:41 AM
    How about coins in the drum... we hear them moving around and can't figure out how to get them out!

Thanks so much! My husband just followed your directions. Found a ton of change! Hopefully that is our problem.

Do you know how to check the drain pipe for clothes.

If our problem is still here do you have any other ideas. He is running the cycle now...

Conni[/QUOTE]

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Kenmore Elite Will not Drain or Spin [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I have a Kenomre Elite Washer and the water will not drain or spin. I have check to make sure there are no clogs or anything blocking the drain. I also have removed all the clothes except a few to make sure it is not heavy. When it gets to the part were it shouild drain and spin nothing...

Kenmore Elite washer not spinning/agitating [ 11 Answers ]

I have the same washer as SerTam (dated 4/2/06). Model #110.20052 992 The washer filled and the light said it was washing but it was just making a horrible buzzing sound. It was not agitating. I was able to get it to drain though. It also would stop draining if I raised the lid so I don't think...

Kenmore Elite Washer (Model#110.82873120) Spin Probs [ 5 Answers ]

I have the Kenmore Elite King Size Washer, Model#110.82873120. Last night it quit working on the "Spin" cycle. I can still hear and feel the cycle operating, but there is a "clicking" that goes on and the agitator doesn't spin, nor does it agitate during the cycle. The draining mechanism...

Kenmore elite catalyst washer not spinning [ 1 Answers ]

Model number 11020072991 Ok, here's where I'm at. I believe it's the drive coupler? I've disconnected the control panel and fliped it back. I remove the brass colored springs holding on the cover and removed the cover after disconnecting the clamps and hoses needed. Now, I'm stuck and don't...

View more questions Search