Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    caj Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 4, 2006, 09:09 PM
    French Citizenship from French Mother
    Hello,

I'm looking into getting French citizenship for myself. Born here in US, 24 years old, my mother moved here from France when quite young and is still a French citizen. According to most of what I've read (in English) this would make me automatically French, I'd just need to get the paperwork worked out. However, I read this:

---
    Par filiation (droit du sang) :
    Est Français l’enfant, légitime ou naturel don't l’un des parents au moins est Français.

Par ailleurs, la filiation de l’enfant n’a d’effet sur la nationalité de celui-ci que si elle est établie durant sa minorité.
    ---

http://www.diplomatie.gouv.fr/fr/les...301/index.html

The state of my French reading isn't very good, but I read that as meaning that because I didn't do the paperwork before I reached the age of majority I've lost my French nationality.

Is this really the case? I ask because I haven't seen or heard anything about this in what I've read online and what other people have told me on this subject.

Does anyone know if I can still get French citizenship this way?

Thanks for your response.
    sara1977 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 14, 2006, 04:24 PM
    Have you found an answer if so let me know I am in your situation
    heart88 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 14, 2006, 07:40 PM
    Your best bet is to contact your nearest French consulate in the US.
    You can also go to the official french civil service website: http://www.service-public.fr/.

I've copied some text from this site and here is a basic translation:
    1) You are french by birth if one of your parents is a French citizen.

2) If you were born outside of France to a french parent, you can denounce/give up your french citizenship in the 6 months before & the 12 months following your 18th birthday.

1) "Enfant dont l'un des parents est français
    Nationalité française par attribution
    Vous êtes français de naissance, par "filiation", si au moins l'un de vos parents est français.

2) Si vous êtes né à l'étranger d'un seul parent français, vous pouvez répudier la nationalité française dans les six mois précédant votre majorité et les douze mois qui la suivent. Vous devez posséder une autre nationalité par filiation.

Pour toute information :
    Il convient de s'adresser :
    * en France, au tribunal d'instance dont dépend votre domicile,
    * à l'étranger, au consulat de France de votre résidence."

Also check with your mother to see if she might have registered you at a French consulate where you were born (in your case, the US).
    I have heard that this might help with the application process.

The first step is to get in touch with the closest french consulate to you. They should be able to answer your questions and get you started.
    (The staff at the DC consulate have been very helpful to me so far): http://www.info-france-usa.org/intheus/consulates.asp

Hope this info. Helps & Good luck!
    Loveburns4me Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 29, 2008, 11:52 PM

I'm in the same situation. Let me know if you find out! :-)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

French citizenship through french/canadian husband [ 3 Answers ]

Hey there - my husband was born in France. He's been a citizen of canada, resident of quebec, since his French family immigrated 36 years ago. We got married in Los Angeles, certificate issued at the Beverly Hills court-house, in 2003. I was originally informed that: 1) I had to wait 3 years...

French Citizenship [ 2 Answers ]

Hi,I born at Paris (09-1974) and non parents are citizen,do I have a chance to choose a French nationality? Thanks

View more questions Search