Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kokocorn Posts: 25, Reputation: 1

Jan 27, 2018, 01:15 PM
    No pain
    My friend has horrible teeth. Does not go to the dentist. And yet, with all his cavities and problems (missing teeth), he never feels any pain. Never had a toothache or anything. I kind of wish he would feel pain so he would be forced to go to dentist. Does anyone know why some people never experience toothaches or any pain even though their teeth are really bad?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jan 27, 2018, 09:10 PM
    He has a threshold of pain that doesn't register. Is this what he tells you, that he doesn't feel pain.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jan 27, 2018, 09:39 PM
    How old is he? Maybe he does feel pain, but has no means to do anything about it. So he lies about feeling no pain rather than admit he cannot afford a dentist. Ask him.

Jan 27, 2018, 09:50 PM
    Yes, it really doesn't bother him. And from looking at him, you can tell he is not in pain or any discomfort. I was curious how that could be with all his obvious dental problems. I just can't convince him to go to the dentist.

He is 60, has a job with dental benefits so it's not like he can't afford to go to the dentist. I just don't know why he won't go. But he definitely does not feel any pain or discomfort. It's weird so I was curious if there were other people who did not feel pain when it came to their teeth. Oh well.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jan 28, 2018, 04:00 AM
    I've been wondering about this for myself. It's a simple matter of what hits a nerve or multiple nerves of molars. I'm 71 and suddenly losing teeth in that they break apart, leaving stubs and pieces that don't hurt. BUT I do sometimes get excruciating pain, the kind we all expect, and then beg crying for an emergency spot with the oral surgeon, but it's gone by the time I get there. They have ordered me to get my blood pressure down before they will do all that has to be done. My gums are much more prone to infection though - I have to do gentle brushing of them, and swishing warm salt water. I just bought some oregano oil to dilute and use as a mouthwash. It has been shown to have remarkable antibacterial properties, and is being used in industries like large scale chicken farming in the feed. Many people ingest it in small amounts as an internal antimicrobial, but there have been no scientific studies on humans, except against mouth bacteria.

Your friend is not uncommon. If he cares about life and his health, then he needs to know that the teeth really are part of our whole health, and loss of teeth starts a cascade of life-shortening events.

Jan 28, 2018, 12:27 PM
    I try to talk to him about it and he will respond occasionally but usually does not like talking about it. I'm guessing in his childhood, his parents did not stress importance of dental health. If he did feel pain, I have no doubt he would go to the dentist but seriously does not seem to feel any pain at all. I'm wondering if his nerves are "deadened" or something? I am amazed when I see people with bad teeth and the ability to afford dental care and yet not do anything about it. There is only so much I can do. I can't force him to go to the dentist. But it really does amaze me that some people would not feel pain with so much obvious problems. Pain can actually be a good thing as it forces you to seek help.

Thanks to all for your replies. Good luck to you!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Throbbing pain on floor of mouth accompanied by some pain on teeth directly on area? [ 0 Answers ]

Yesterday I began feeling some swelling with irritation like symptoms on floor of mouth, tonight its accom[anied by a throbbing sensation and pain with numbness like sensation on the teeth directly on gum by loor ofmouth area..

Left sided groin pain + dizziness and infrequent chest pain [ 1 Answers ]

I started having pain in the left side of my groin yesterday, it's painful to sit, walk, stand and then today I took my mom to church and during church I had dizziness and severe chest pain. I was able to drive us home luckily, I had another episode of the chest pain when we got to her house and...

Fever, nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, weakness or sweating and low back pain [ 1 Answers ]

Fever,nausea,vomiting,abdominal pain,weakness or sweating and low back pain what this symptoms shows

Fourteen year old with allover back pain and coccyx pain from skiing fall [ 3 Answers ]

In February this year I went skiing for 2 weeks in waterville valley, New Hampshire, USA - a few days into the second week an inexperienced skiier like myself lost control and cut me up causing me to fall and I landed fiercely on a bit of ice which -just like when you fall on your bum or knock it-...

How do I treat bunion-related foot pain that is also creating severe back pain? [ 5 Answers ]

I began using orthotics some months back to relieve severe foot pain - the result of two toes that are not in alignment. I found some relief, but I've recently experienced sharp, stabbing pain in my lower back and upper thigh. I am trying to find the connection, but the doctors I've seen either...

View more questions Search