Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    somanytries Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jan 21, 2009, 09:19 AM
    Are there any federal grants
    Hello, I was wondering if there is any type of grants, that can help someone get their CDL, I've been pricing all the schools, but they cost so much. In the past I drove OTR, for about 4 yrs, and I was missing my family grow, so I let my CDL expire, I have a super clean record, but since 2000, when I stopped, I earned myself a felony possession of marijuana, back in 2005, I have looked all around, but with the companies that do training, they want it to be at least, 5-7 yrs old before they touch me, I lined up a job driving with a friend of mine that is a owner op, he does not care about my past, since he is already giving me a 2nd chance at a great job, I can't ask him for the help, with the school, as soon as I get my CDL, I have a job, but I am having a hard time finding the money, so if anyone knows if there are any grants that can help, PLEASE let me know, I believe in Karma, and a 2nd chance... Thank you for taking the time to read this... :rolleyes:
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jan 21, 2009, 05:56 PM

If you already had a CDL, all you have to do is retake the written and road tests to get a new CDL. So what's so hard about that? I don't think you need to attend a school if you already held a CDL. Schooling is for rookies and anyone who actually drove for 4 years is definitely not a rookie.
    somanytries Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jan 21, 2009, 08:31 PM
    I let my cdl expire, and it has been 9 yrs in Aug, they said since I have not driven since then, there is a 8.5 yr gap and I have to be retrained completely, school all over again, too long for a refresher course...
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jan 23, 2009, 11:39 AM

Oh, you didn't say how long. You could try one of the OTR companies who offer the free in house training for their new recruits. They may decide you're good material as having previous driving experience and hire you into their free school. The bigger companies offer this. It's just a matter of searching the net for the companies and speaking to their recruiters. I know here in Ohio schools go for $6-$8,000 and up for training. Pricey.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is there any free small business grants or grants for felons [ 3 Answers ]

I'm an ex-felon trying to get on with my life and become a possitive person for myself and my children and for the comity that I live in is there any kind of grants I can get to open up a business I would only need about 10,000 to have everything up and going

Federal grants for felons [ 8 Answers ]

How do I get funding for college as a felon

Federal or state reform grants [ 3 Answers ]

Yes I am a convicted felon in Colorado was sentence to probation. Was wondering if there is federal or state grants for reforming felon back in the community. For things such as housing schooling. Rehab. Getting us back on our feet. Not just for education

Federal Grants for building a house [ 2 Answers ]

I've heard from some family members that there may be grants available for building a new house. I've done some searching online, but haven't been able to find anything. I live in Nebraska and am looking to build a house in a town of 6500 people. I heard there were grants for building in a town of...

Federal Wage information is missing in my W2. How can I pay my Federal tax? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, Last year, I was working as F1 in OPT. As F1, I can exempt from society security tax and medicare tax. But the accounting company also exempted my Federal tax and told me that was the way to do it. I thought I could report my Federal tax later, so I let it go. But right now, I get my...

View more questions Search