Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Peter1955 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 19, 2012, 12:57 PM
    r410 expansion valve conversion
    Can a condensing unit that runs on R22 run on R410?
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Apr 19, 2012, 04:13 PM
    Sorry, but no. The pressure diffenece between 22 and 410 is extreme. You will need a new outdoor condenser, and matching indoor evap coil along with a new line set between the two. R22 condensers are not at all compatible with R410. Changing the expansion valve will do you no good. You will need a complete new system to have true functionality and reliability when switching from 22 to 410a. Hopefully some of the other pros here will come by and confirm this (or prove me wrong?) Plain and simple, the two refrigents use diffefent oils that aren't compatible (some will suggest flushing the system, but that is expensive, messy, and never truly cleans the system completley.) And your compressor is not built for the pressures demanded by a 410 system. Hope that answers your question. Over all, if you have someone tell you they can convert your old 22 condenser over to 410, kick them off the property right away.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Apr 20, 2012, 06:33 AM
    NO!! And I agree with mygirlsdad77.
    wmproop Posts: 3,749, Reputation: 91
    Ultra Member

Apr 20, 2012, 08:04 AM
    Good answer

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

96 dodge dakota a/c expansion valve [ 2 Answers ]

Where is the expansion valve? I have the dash nearly all the way out, still can't find it. Please help

Installing a expansion valve [ 1 Answers ]

HI, I have a cental a/c in my home it is a york 3ton. The freon is controlled by an orfice. I was told that an expansion valve is much better. The reason for the change the system will not cool like I think it should. Even when it was new it did not work that well. I have a 1280sf raised ranch. I...

View more questions Search