Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jspicker Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 1, 2005, 11:10 AM
    Water pools around furnace when a/c runs
    A couple of times this summer I have noticed a pool of water around my furnace while my air conditioner is on. I have a central air conditioner and the air is distributed through my house via the furnace blower and conduits. Today, I had some time to poke around a bit and it seems that the pool is probably coming from a small whitish box next to the furnace. After rubbing off some of the dust, I could read that this is a modular condensate pump (Hartell KT-15X-1UL). I thought it would be a good idea to find out what's inside that white box before I start unscrewing the housing but I was unable to find any information online except for where to purchase a new pump. It occurred to me that perhaps the tubing from the air conditioner is no longer firmly secured and the water therefore leaks out. However, I have no idea where the water goes from this pump so it could be that the pump is just plain not working! Does it make any noise while it pumps? Anyway, any insight you can provide about this would be extremely helpful!

Thanks,
    Judie
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Sep 1, 2005, 02:15 PM
    Nearly any pump makes a little noise or vibrates enough to feel when it is running. However it should have a float switch so it only runs when there is water to pump. The water collects under the ''A-coil'' inside just after the furnace. It should run into a sump, where a float switch turns on the pump when there is water, and turns it off after pumping the water out. Usually the water goes outside on the ground or into your down spouts. It can also go to a sewer, but that violates code. So check around. Float switches are unreliable and sometime they operate a relay adding another thing to go wrong. Could be a fuse in the pump too.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hot water runs out after 5-10 minutes [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, Need some assistance: I have a 30 gallon gas hot water heater about 10 yrs old with copper plumbing and after taking the shower for 5-10 minutes, there is no more hot water. What are some of the possible causes & fix? Thank you, Matt

Shower stall pools water in one corner [ 4 Answers ]

My house is 15 years old and built on a slab. The shower stall is an enclosed corner unit made of fiberglass (I think all one unit) enclosed with glass. The slope of the floor of the stall has always allowed water to pool in the corner instead of flowing easily down the drain located in the...

My furnace runs all day [ 3 Answers ]

The burners fire for a minute or two at most then turn off for a minute or two. This repeats all day and it won't get above 64f in the house.

Hot water furnace [ 2 Answers ]

I do not think there is enough water in the system. How can I be sure?

View more questions Search