Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    phlanx Posts: 213, Reputation: 13

Oct 21, 2009, 02:37 PM
    Why is 12 of your peers
    Hello

I have been struggling to find the answer to this question

Why is it, in courts the normal number of 12 people that are classed as your peers and there to judge you

Where did the number 12 come from?

I have searched as far back as Charlemaine, which is recognised as one of the first courts in the world back in 800ad approx, but nowhere can I find why it is 12?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Oct 21, 2009, 02:42 PM

Actually, sometimes there are six. There are also Grand Juries which are neither six nor twelve.

Anyway - "The roots of why we have twelve people on a jury go back to Biblical times for one, when there were twelve disciples. It was always considered to be a good number of people to make sure that all of the minority populations were represented. And that there was a wide enough selection from the community or the neighborhood that every opinion would be represented on the jury. It also meant that the rights of minorities were soundly protected because if there are only two minorities on the jury, and they refuse to convict, that person would have to be tried again. So you see, if there's only a few minorities and it's a minority on trial, this way that person can be protected from vicious prosecutions."

Why are there 12 people on a jury? Jury History (Money & Careers: How A Jury Is Chosen)

Oct 21, 2009, 02:56 PM

Evening Judy, I have seen the disciples thing bounded about, but never accepted it

Till now - and yes it was after I asked the question :)

Does this make sense to you?

When the first court started in Charlemaine, christianity was somehwat popular and as such the way that people lead their lives would have been based on the bible

So the number 12 would be prominent in the minds of people

And as you say, it does have a broader acceptance of a fair decision

As regards the sometimes its 6 etc, it can be three as with our magistartes courts which go way back to 1195 where the knights would perside over a problem :)

Thanks again, whether the reason is true or not I happy with a reason why it could be :)
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Oct 21, 2009, 03:09 PM

This is a subject for the discussion board. It isn't really a legal question.

But, yes, that's my understanding as well as what I was taught - it goes back to the Bible.

Oct 21, 2009, 03:10 PM

Sorry, thought asking a question on a law theme would fit into to the law section!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Husband using slanderous words to cause shame to wife amongst peers [ 3 Answers ]

My husband has been trying to create a bad impression of me around town so that he establishes himself as a victim rather than me. I have been married to an emotionally/verbally abusive husband who refuses to give up and allow me a happy life without him. My husband has spent most of his He has...

View more questions Search