Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    volygrl3 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 30, 2006, 01:09 PM
    Divorce and immigration
    My husband and I have the longest wait time for legal paperwork to get done... it's been two years and still waiting. However, I do not want to stay married, and while we were married legitimately, I was wondering if anyone can tell me if I can get a legal separation without screwing up his paperwork?
    Thank-you very much!!
    wynelle Posts: 184, Reputation: 21

Mar 30, 2006, 09:01 PM
    How long have you been married? What is the current status on his paperwork?

If his immigration is dependent on marriage to a US citizen, then yes, divorce will impact his status.
    volygrl3 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 31, 2006, 08:24 AM
    We've been married for 2 years, and we started the paperwork a few months after we got married. The Service Center handling our case has just been slow or lost our stuff, but I have spoken to the USCIS officers on many occasions and they always end up "resubmitting electronically" because things are "outside of the processing time."
    What about a legal separation?
    Thanks
    wynelle Posts: 184, Reputation: 21

Mar 31, 2006, 09:53 AM
    My opinion?

It might be considered fraud if you sponsor him knowing you were planning a divorce.

A lot of investigative officers think very poorly of marriages in which immigration papers are filed shortly after marriage, and a divorce/separation then follows. (I have a friend who works with Immigration and Naturalization)

In fact, if you are legally separated or divorced at any point up until he raises his right hand and recites the oath of allegience-- the paperwork could come to a grinding halt. And that could be one of the reasons that it is taking so long. There could be suspicions.
    sfl1602 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 30, 2006, 08:23 PM
    I'm young and scared.my baby father is getting a divorce but we just had a baby[5 months old].he wants to get married to me but I'm afraid that I won't get through with my papers if I get maried to him.could someone please help me or give me some advice if you are able to,keep in mind that this is the first time that I will be married being 26 years old and him being 36 years old.
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Jun 30, 2006, 08:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sfl1602
    i'm young and scared.my baby father is getting a divorce but we just had a baby[5 months old].he wants to get married to me but i'm afraid that i won't get through with my papers if i get maried to him.could someone please help me or give me some advice if you are able to,keep in mind that this is the first time that i will be married being 26 years old and him being 36 years old.

You are afraid you won't get in with your papers if you marry him?

You live where?

He lives where?

If he lives in America or Canada, then the fact you are married and have a kid together will almost certainly guarantee you entry... unless you are a suspected terrorist or something.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Aug 6, 2006, 09:09 PM
    Since you've already filed for divorce, getting a legal separation would be redundant at this point and would probably take just as long as it's taking your divorce to go through.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I have a question regarding Immigration Fraud and Divorce [ 5 Answers ]

First of all I'm not sure if this is fraud. However, I have a friend who married a guy from overseas over 10 years ago. He became a US citizen nearly 3 years ago. Then his parents came here recently. Once they came they gave him the idea to divorce my friend and marry someone else from overseas...

Immigration fees for Australian immigration [ 6 Answers ]

Dear Sir; I want to know the immigration fee for Australian Immigration please also clasify both refundable in case of rejection and non refundable immigration fee. I travers every Australian immigration web site but I did'nt find immigration fee please replay me soon. ...

Immigration and Divorce [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, Im going through a separation and I need some help understanding where I stand and what I can do as far as removing her legal status. Im married for 3 years and 6 months in Feb. 07, 2003 with a Mexican citizen and for the first two years of marriage I did not submitted her I-130 petition...

Divorce And Immigration Laws In California [ 5 Answers ]

I was roughly engaged and recently got married in February at the age of 18, my boyfriend at the time was having his immigration status reviewed so he asked to push the day forward. I agreed as to the fact that we were already engaged, he was terrified of being deported because of a domestic...

Immigration [ 2 Answers ]

My question is this. I have a green card :o , if I marry someone who has no papers will they become legal in the US, or am I going to screw my residency. I anyone can answer this Id appreciate it, as its so damn expensive to ask this question ?

View more questions Search