Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nyce1122 Posts: 2, Reputation: 3

Dec 24, 2006, 07:25 AM
    DWI in Ny in a Company Car
    Recently, a friend was arrested for a DWI in NY while driving his company car. He has an out of state license and was concerened about his job. Will they find out about the DWI? Should he contact his employer? Any information regarding this will be appreciated. Thanks:confused:
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 24, 2006, 08:06 AM
    If he drives a company car, most companies run a background ( drivers license) review on a regular basis, once a year or once every two years.

Also the companies insurance company will get a notice of this most likely since it will effect the insurance rates they pay.

Next most employees of company that drive company vechiles have rules that state any ticket must be reported.

And honestly he should start looking for a new job, since this offense will cost anyone their job in any company I know of.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 24, 2006, 10:54 AM
    It may not be automatic that he loses his job. Depends on written company policy.

But if he fails to report it, once the company finds out (and they will from their insurance company) the likelihood he would be fired is increased.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Dec 24, 2006, 11:10 AM
    Hello nyce:

I'm with Padre. If they DON'T fire him, and he kills somebody with their car while drunk, that victim's family will OWN that company.

excon
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 24, 2006, 04:30 PM
    Yes, I have drove a company car for almost 30 years for various companies and I had to at least every couple years supply them with a copy of my drivers license and each company had a rule that we had to report any and all accidents and tickets.

Most employees get into more trouble for not reporting than the ones who reported it.

And yes it may not be automatically fired,
    nyce1122 Posts: 2, Reputation: 3

Dec 26, 2006, 08:32 AM
    Thanks everyone. But shouldn't he only report it once he is convicted? Nothing happens with insurance until after conviction... or am I totally wrong?
    clouded Posts: 31, Reputation: 3
    -

Dec 26, 2006, 06:12 PM
    Your dead on.
    Innocent until proven guilty.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Buy Another Car or Use Existing Car 'til It Runs No More [ 7 Answers ]

Please help me resolve a debate with my husband. I am a first time car owner. I bought a new Jeep in 8/04 for $23,600. I put $5K down on the purchase + my loan is for 60 months. I would like to trade in the liberty before it gets too old + has too many miles on it. Does it make better sense to...

Car Loan and Car Title - Minnesota Law [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, My fiancé and I recently bought a car on a Saturday. We live in Minnesota. At first, the finance guy at the car dealership told us the financing will be done through Wells Fargo. After spending close to 4 hours at there and hearing it was a reputable bank that we both bank through -- we...

Car accident while friend is in the car [ 5 Answers ]

I have a question about what the case would be if I got into a car accident, mine or another drivers fault, with a friend in the car that is mine but in my Mother's name. I have been reading a little bit into insurance, I think I understand how it would work and come into play a little bit. What...

Concerned with DWI! [ 1 Answers ]

I have a DWI on my record and I want to know if on an application when it ask if I have ever been convicted of a crime should I check yes and explain or is it considered a traffic violation. It was a mistake that I used very poor judgement and have no other record of being arrest or traffic...

View more questions Search