Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sticky365 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 7, 2011, 06:45 PM
    How do I get my heating and cooling system to stop popping 3 amp fuses so it will wor
    My heating and cooling system went out yesterday during a storm and I found out that a 3 amp fuse in the system had been popped . So I replaced the fuse and the system keeps popping any 3 amp fuse I install.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Aug 7, 2011, 07:47 PM

I would start looking for damage or bare low voltage wiring. Most likely be on the exterior. Damage could have existed prior to storm but only shows up now that things are wet.
    Squirrels, dogs and other thing sometimes like to chew on them. Usually, the wiring doesn't get along very well with lawn mowers and line trimmers.
    sticky365 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 7, 2011, 07:58 PM
    I could not find any damage to any of the wiring. There was a power surge during the storm and now the system keeps popping the 3 amp fuse.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Aug 8, 2011, 03:01 PM

Disconnect low voltage wiring from unit outside. If fuse no longer blows the problem is in the unit. If fuse continues to blow, disconnect low voltage wiring from unit inside. If fuse no longer blows, problem is in low voltage wiring between the inside and outside units. If fuse blows problem is in low voltage wiring inside the house or the inside controls.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Heating and Cooling System [ 0 Answers ]

I have Lenox system with Honeywell Programmable thermostat. My Ac and furnace work fine. Only problem with furnace is if I feel cold in the house and if I raise temperature few degrees on the thermostat, I can hear my furnace starting. After about 5 seconds, it will turn off. After about 3-4...

Will cooling system stop leak clog my system? [ 2 Answers ]

I carry a bottle of "bar's leaks liquid aluminum radiator stop leak" in the trunk of my car for a emergency situation only. I would like to know if I have to use it one day then what are the chances it will clog my cooling system? Is the product safe or is their a good chance it will harm my...

Geothermal Heating & Cooling System costs [ 3 Answers ]

I am looking for an approximate cost to install a 200 ton Geothermal closed loop heating & cooling system for a commercial manufacturing building. The building has approximately 100,000 S/F (30,000 office space and 70,000 manufacturing / warehouse area). Any information would be greatly...

Heating & cooling system [ 3 Answers ]

I have a two zone heating/cooling system, with one generator unit. With this type of system, there are two trunk lines leading off the furnace. The dampers alternate when each thermostat indicates which one should turn on. One of the trunk lines has started making a loud whistle, indicating...

View more questions Search