Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    harco1011 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Dec 11, 2007, 08:13 PM
    Concrete Stain on EXISTING concrete
    Hello Professionals!

I have a large back yard patio that was laid with concrete during the building phase (1995). The concrete was colored during the pour. To date, the concrete is FADED (I live in Phoenix Arizona and the sun is BRUTAL!! ). I need to re-color the concrete deck and don't know what to do. I have been told that painting the surface with an outdoor concrete paint is not the way to go (peeling). AND, I do not want to have to ACID wash the area since my little kids are always out by the pool and I do not want them near acid nor residue for months. How in the heck can I re-color this concrete correctly?

Thanks ALL!!

Jay :)
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Dec 11, 2007, 08:27 PM
    Restaining concrete can be done but may not be a DIY project. The concrete must be very clean and they do have enviro friend cleaning agents but this job can get really messy. I would suggest having a professional come out and give you his opinion of your home and ask him lots of questions. Ask him about how he will clean, what stain will be used and how will it be applied. After he gives you his price you can decide if you can do everything he just described to you.
    harco1011 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Dec 11, 2007, 09:21 PM
    BALLENGER1 - Do you recommend a paint intead that will last outside?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Dec 12, 2007, 08:52 AM
    I would not use paint on concrete in your area of the country. There are several liquid stains that will work well but like you said the sun is brutal. Nearly everything in your area will need periodic touch ups if exposed to direct sun, this includes us too.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Concrete floor stain or polish [ 3 Answers ]

Just ripped up the carpet and stripped glue off my solid slab in living room. I then rented a concrete machine and ran it over the top of the concrete to make it smooth. My concrete still has stuff ( Glue / Stains ) on it but its nice an smooth. Question is: 1. Should I rent a wet dry...

Flagstone over a concrete existing base [ 2 Answers ]

I hired a friend to install natural irregular shaped flagstone and 1/4 of the way through the process I noticed that the floor wasn't level in its thickness from stone to stone. He said that's the way it's supposed to be. Another friend told me that it has to be level, otherwise the kids will stub...

Stain Concrete [ 2 Answers ]

I am planning on pulling up the carpet and padding on my floor- slab on grade. I would like to stain it. Since it is already sealed is too late to stain it? Thank you P.S. how to thank the person that responds to your question?

Pouring interior concrete slab over existing, cracked concrete slab [ 4 Answers ]

I am turning part of my carport into a new living room. I am going to pour a concrete slab about 4 inches thick over the existing carport floor which is a concrete slab. The existing slab has a few cracks, the largest of which is about an 1/8in. Wide and raised about an 1/8in. What would be the...

Expanding an existing concrete patio [ 1 Answers ]

I have an existing concrete patio that is less than 6 months old. In my opinion, it is of high quality. It is 4-6 in thick and rebar reinforced. It is approximately 30 x 15 ft. We are considering putting in a pool. The pool decking (concrete) will need to be tied into the existing concrete...

View more questions Search