Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    iam4al Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Feb 21, 2006, 11:04 AM
    Flu and pregnant
    I am 9 weeks pregnant and I have the flu. My temp has not been above 101 and I have kept it down with meds approved by my OB. What harm can running a fever for 4 or more days do? And has anyone ever done this and had a healthy baby and everything been fine? I am scared and my OB seems like it will be okay that the baby is protected.

Thanks for answering me
    CanadianBrunette Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Feb 21, 2006, 07:35 PM
    Everyone gets sick. If your doctor has already given you medication and is monitoring you, then I would trust your doctor. I would make sure to get plenty of rest and drink lots of fluids. You will feel better sooner than you think and the baby will be fine. :)
    Chery Posts: 3,666, Reputation: 698
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Feb 22, 2006, 05:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by iam4al
    I am 9 weeks pregnant and I have the flu. My temp has not been above 101 and I have kept it down with meds approved by my OB. What harm can running a fever for 4 or more days do? And has anyone ever done this and had a healthy baby and everything been fine? I am scared and my OB seems like it will be okay that the baby is protected.

Thanks for answering me
    Your OB is right, mother nature has a way of protecting the little one. If you need reassurance, check out the following sites and just ride it out. We women have been having babies for centuries and medical technology has improved, but the earlier moms and their babies didn't do too bad either. Good luck dear - and see the doctor again if you want to - it's always a good idea to stay in contact.
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/sym...gnancy/PR00102 scroll down and even get answers on flying while pregnant, exercise, dangers, etc.
    http://www.epigee.org/pregnancy/symptoms.html
    www.askdramy.com The U.K. online doctor.you can post on a forum, or 'ask the Dr. Amy' with a click. The FAQ Tab on the homepage is also a good place to click and has a lot of good subject matter. P.S. Most of the articles are printable in PDF format.
    Good luck, and keep us posted.
    PrettyLady Posts: 2,765, Reputation: 332
    -

Feb 23, 2006, 12:26 AM
    Iam4al, Chery has provided some very good information, I hope you read it. Also, pregnant women are considered to be in the high-risk group of those most vulnerable to getting the flu and are strongly urged to get a flu shot, especially if you have an increased risk of pregnancy complications due to a medical condition. While some doctors may avoid administering a vaccine to a woman who is very early in her first trimester, it is generally thought to be safe to receive the vaccine at any point during pregnancy. While the flu shot is believed to be completely safe for both pregnant and breastfeeding women, FluMist, a nasal spray flu vaccine, is not. Unlike the flu shot, which contains killed flu virus, FluMist contains the live flu virus, thereby increasing your chances of catching the flu from the vaccine.

Only your doctor knows your medical history. If he/she has prescribed a medication to you for the flu, then you should take it. But if have any concerns about it, you are urged to talk to your doctor.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Am I pregnant? [ 44 Answers ]

:confused: :confused: :confused: please somebody tell me if this sounds like I am pregnant. I started with a thick whitey discharge that didn't smeel or itch Veins especially in my breasts started to show more Breasts look like they have grown slightly Feel fluey, stuffy nose all the time but...

Could I be pregnant? [ 10 Answers ]

Is it possible to be pregnant even with my period so irregular? My last period was January 2006, and I didn't have my period in Feb, and March, but I believe I conceived sometime in April. But I have been having all the symptoms, cramping, nausea, vomiting, my friends tell me my stomach is getting...

Can I be Pregnant? [ 9 Answers ]

I have 2 questions... I have taken a home pregnancy test and have come up negative. I am approximately 2 weeks late for my menstrual cycle. Could I be pregnant and they tests just not detecting the pregnancy hormone? Also, if I am not pregnant and I have just missed this month's period, can I still...

Pregnant? [ 7 Answers ]

Hi I'm 22 and on feb 24 I had a reg period but in mar I came on early da 22 and it was barely any bleeding and it was light pink I used a panty liner the whole time now April I didn't come on until the 21st the same thing extra light and only for two days.I took 4 hpt's and all said negative do...

View more questions Search