Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jul 28, 2006, 10:46 AM
    Dreamweaver8 question
    After changing a template page (.dwt) - and the pages that use it - the only way I know to "select" those pages to upload them is Select > Newer Local... which takes forever to go through the site comparing the local with the remote files.

Is there an easier/faster way?

Thanks!
    rudi_in Posts: 251, Reputation: 45

Jul 28, 2006, 11:23 AM
    Are you applying your updated template to your pages?

Otherwise when you change a template, dreamweaver should ask you if you want to update all the pages using the template. Choose yes and it will be done automatically for you.

Have you tried going to your files panel on the right and selecting the assets tab?

Then you can select your template from your assets list and hit the insert button at the bottom.

You may also try choosing
    >Modify
    >Templates
    >Apply template to page

Does this match what you are trying to do?
    Uber Member

Jul 28, 2006, 11:31 AM
    Yes, applying the template changes to the pages that are made from the template.

Depending on what part of my site I'm working on, the changed pages will number from a few to many.

My problem is how to "select" these recently changed pages so I can upload them.

Selecting them by Select > Newer takes forever since the site is so big.

When I change a template, I get the prompt "Do I want to apply the changes to the pages", and I say yes. After the changes are applied, there needs to be another prompt that says "upload these changed pages?"

Can't find it, so hoping there's a trick out there.

Do you use Templates? If so, how do you upload the newly changed pages without having to do Select > Newer Local?

Jul 28, 2006, 11:38 AM
    Let me make sure I get this:

You have made all of your changes to the local server and want all of your changes to be updated on the remote server without right clicking each file and going >select>newer local for each of them individually?

Are you able to make live changes to the remote server?

Have you tried using the synchronize function?

If you right click in the files panel and select synchronize.
    You can then select >selected local files only from the drop box
    As well as >put newer files to remote
    Uber Member

Jul 28, 2006, 01:32 PM
    Yes, yes and yes.

Selecting Newer Local files is the same as synchronization. It goes through all my local files to determine what is newer. Likewise, Putting newer files to remote is the same: It has to go through the entire local site files - comparing each local file to each remote file - before putting.. . Which takes forever.

Jul 28, 2006, 02:25 PM
    Two more ideas and then my knowledge of this tapped.

Can you simply click to highlight the ones you want to copy and click on >put< so that you do not have to wait for it to go through the whole site?

Finally, here is a thought. Maybe it will work, maybe not.

Close dreamweaver
    Use <My Network Places> on the computer to open your remote folders
    Open your local folders
    Drag and drop the ones you want to copy
    Uber Member

Aug 16, 2006, 03:24 AM
    In case someone comes along to see this, here's the workaround I'm using:

When I want to work on a template that affect a lot of pages, I move all my site files to another location on my computer... so no files are in the one that Dreamreader uses to synch up with the remote.

Then I pull the template from the server edit and save it... along with all the files it affects

... so at that point the only files in the folder that DW sees are the ones I just edited... so I can just upload everything.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I have a question regarding skin. Question is on skin... [ 1 Answers ]

whenever I get hit or scratched, or bitten to hard, that area of my skin where is occurred gets red and then I get a white raised bump ( of skin) in the senter or along the redness. It goes away in minutes but still highly unattractive. What can I do to prevent this?? Sum 1 email me help....

View more questions Search