Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cornedbeef Posts: 152, Reputation: 4

Dec 30, 2008, 06:22 PM
    Can my firewalls conflict
    I have just installed "Zone alarm" as recommended on here many times. It does appear to slow the PC down since the download. I realize it is "learning" about this PC and should speed up in time (am I right?) but I wondered if I need to remove or disable Windows firewall to prevent confliction between the two.
    Thanks.
    johndoe99 Posts: 167, Reputation: 21

Dec 31, 2008, 05:16 AM
    You cannot have two firewalls running at the same time on a PC, they will conflict with each other, disable Windows Firewall and see if your PC speeds up.

I've used Zone Alarm myself in the past, and don't care much for it, it conflicted with other programs on me, but that's just my opinion. Lets us know how you get on. :)
    Whiskey14 Posts: 219, Reputation: 16

Jan 12, 2009, 10:09 PM

Zone Alarm when first installed, is very noisy, alerting you to it seems like everything. If you knoe\w the program is safe, when the box comes up, click remember this decision or something like that, then click Yes or OK. I've been usiong it for about 9 years now and swear by it. If it does slowthe computer a tad bit, that's okay with me, rather be safe than sorry.
    c_starrs Posts: 64, Reputation: 5

Jan 23, 2009, 11:35 AM

Zone alarm will slow your computer down... alot... notice the 10 or so seconds when you see your wallpaper but the pc's not doing anything, that'll happen for the rest of zonealarm's life.. you will have to disable windows firewall if you've got zone alarm (and I use this word lightly cause it's more of a crawl) "running" as their rules can conflict but zonealarm should have shut it off during install. Although some other regular users recommend zonealarm and "swear by it", it's possibly the most slowest program ever to be developed and works on the principle of waiting for hackers to get bored of your pc's dreadfully slow response time. I would be happy with the following on any pc:
    Eset Smart Security (Proven the lightest full security suite)
    Norton 2009 internet security (2009 Only, every older edition is very very slow)

Second to these would be
    Kaspersky
    Mix of comodo and avast

Then
    Zone Alarm
    MyDoom worm

Hope that helps
    1stRankings Posts: 9, Reputation: 3

Jan 23, 2009, 01:20 PM
    If you have XP and 1-2 gigs of ram you should not see any speed issues with ZoneAlarm... I have a computer with 1 gig and a laptop with 3 gigs, neither have any issues with slowness... I assume you must either be running Vista or have less than a gig of ram.

I highly recommend you stick with ZoneAlarm and/or use Comodo... the latter being more secure in a way but also is based on rules and not just applications... Comodo also has a far better virus scanner with it then ZA does.

Here are my suggestions:

1. Disable windows firewall, it is garbage... it should only be used if absolutely no other firewall is on your computer... but I would not recommend it.
    2. Click ALT + CTRL + DELETE and check cpu usage... if it is a high percentage and you have more than a gig of ram you should try and figure out what program/s are hogging the ram. You could try starting the computer in diagnostic mode by going to START >> RUN >> type MSCONFIG and click enter... then check DIAGNOSTIC SETUP click OK and restart... then try running ZoneAlarm and see if the computer is still slow. If it isn't then you have a app hogging your resources.
    3. If you have less than 1 gig of ram upgrade to at least 1-2 gigs... 3 for Vista.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ex Conflict [ 28 Answers ]

Ok, so my girlfriend and I have been broken up for about a month and two weeks. We talk from time to time. I broke up with her, and there's been a lot of drama. The thing is, part of me knows that I would be happier with someone else later in life. However, the other part of me thinks that her and...

Have a 64bit OS, xp pro need a list of compatible firewalls [ 1 Answers ]

I also need to find a good PC repair program that will fix registry errors as well. I keep my machine in tip top shape. Meaning I defrag on a reg basis, clean up useless clutter from the internet and such, as well as scanning for errors. Reason I'm asking is because I upgraded to the 64bit...

Firewalls in ceilings of furnace [ 1 Answers ]

I am selling a house and the buyers are requiring that I install fire wall/blocking at furnace closets and water heater closets. What are they and how would I install them. Thanks

FireWalls [ 2 Answers ]

I understand that a firewall is for security purposes and I also understand that hardware and (software (such as Zone Alarm)) firewalls can be configured to block certain inward or outward traffic by specifying certain IP addresses or protocols such as udp, ftp, tcp, http, smtp and so on. What I...

Firewalls [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, we have the internet but are bills are really high because when we are on looking at innocent sites we often get hackers or somebody who is charging us a premium rate without us knowing when we are not even using their sites. Somebody suggests getting a firewall to protect it but I'm scared...

View more questions Search