Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jduke44 Posts: 407, Reputation: 44

Mar 28, 2006, 03:12 PM
    Firewall/antivirus
    Can anyone tell me if they like or dislike the EZ Armor Security Software that comes with roadrunner? I have been trying to look at reviews but can't find any.

Also, can anyone tell what they think of Trend Micro's firewall protection. I currently have this for my virus protection but wasn't sure how good it is for firewall. Again, tried to look at reviews but couldn't find anything solid that would give me an idea either way.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Mar 28, 2006, 03:25 PM
    People's opinions vary greatly when it comes to AV apps, but I would avoid Norton as in my experience it causes a lot of problems with XP.
    I use Macafee Corperate edition with occasional trend hosecall scans (always clean).
    Thee only software firewall that I have used extensively is Zone Alarm, very powerful indeed, but can be a bit of a sod to set up.
    The best route to go for a firewall solution would be a hardware version. These are normally an integral part of an Internet Gateway (Broadband Router). Basically a router/modem/firewall/wireless/etc solution.
    I would avoid any of these so called Internet security suites that include AV, Anti Spyware and firewall in one product as they are a total nightmare to trouble shoot/fix if there is a problem.

I hope this gives you some things to think about.

Mar 28, 2006, 03:40 PM
    The best route to go for a firewall solution would be a hardware version. These are normally an integral part of an Internet Gateway (Broadband Router). Basically a router/modem/firewall/wireless/etc solution.
    So what you are saying is to get a router that acts as a firewall? If so, would this connect from the cable service's modem to the router.

I know enough o stay away from Norton's. I always thought that was a dog anyway. If I go software make sure it only a firewall then get a separate virus protection? Is this what you are saying?

I realized later that not everyone is going to know what roadrunner is. I am getting cable broadband installed hopefully tomorrow.

Thanks CurlyBen, I'll wait for your response.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Mar 28, 2006, 03:44 PM
    OK for your router, This is the type of box you want. This is a wireless router but you can also get wired routers as well. You can happily run wired machines straight off this box as it has a 4 port router as well as wireless.
    You can run an ethernet cable from the Cable (RR) modem straight into the router and then go from there.
    Like this:
    Cable Modem >>> Router >>> Computer(s)
    Another advantage of a router is the fact you can share you 'net connection very simply by just plugging other computers strsight into the router.

Mar 28, 2006, 04:33 PM
    Thanks CurlyBen. I really appreciate your help.
    cajalat Posts: 469, Reputation: 66

Mar 28, 2006, 07:42 PM
    External firewalls offer some protection but in today's widespread spyware/malware problems external firewalls don't offer the kind of protection you really need. As a matter of fact, outbound connections from your desktop is what you should be concerned about most. For instance... say a connection from your machine is initiated to a destination IP on port 80. An external firewall won't be able to tell what application initiated that connection. Whereas a personal firewall running on the desktop could have the ability to tell which app initiated the connection, whether the connection was initiated as a result of code injection, launching another application, etc. Many spyware/malware/adware exploits rely on being able to perform any/all of code injection, spawning other apps to access the internet, or directly access the internet. An external firewall can't help at all unless you're willing to add a rule to every possible destination you could visit and that of course is not practical. Whereas with a personal firewall you can restrict which applications can access the internet, whether these apps can launch other apps, or be allowed to do a code injection to access the internet.

I've used Norton, Kerio, MS firewall, Tiny, and Zone Alarm. My personal favorite is Tiny Personal firewall. Sometimes I switch to Kerio but as of today it comes a close 2nd which is to say they're both good. Zone Alarm I wouldn't trust as far as I can throw it anymore ever since Checkpoint bought them. I will never trust a "firewall" that spies on me and calls home like ZA does. And Norton.. well... let's just say that your CPU won't be idle too often. It's a hog :)

Tiny/Kerio are not free but in my opinion are worth the money. You can try evals of either to get an idea of how well they work. You'll be surprised to see what and how many apps try to initiate connections outbound. It is an eye opener.

So the bottom line is you need a solid personal firewall (one that runs on your desktop) to protect from the inside out and you could get an external firewall to protect from the outside in.

Casey

Mar 28, 2006, 07:54 PM
    Casey, thanks for the input. What do you think about Trend Micros? Have you used it?
    cajalat Posts: 469, Reputation: 66

Mar 28, 2006, 08:16 PM
    jduke44,

Not really. My only experience was with PC-cillin a long time ago and can't really make a recommendation one way or the other on Trend's products.

Casey

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Best Firewall and AntiVirus Apps [ 20 Answers ]

I've used Norton Internet Security for many years. No virus, worm, trojan, etc. has ever made it to my PC. My subscription is up and I want to look at other options. Of course the priority is reliability, but nearly equally important is that it must not be resource intensive. 1. What...

Antivirus In Zip Format [ 6 Answers ]

Please tell me about download site having all good antivirus in zip format for download.

Antivirus... [ 11 Answers ]

May I get some advise, its about what is the best antivirus that I can use that won't make my PC slow, this antivirus will be install to a none network or no internet PC so that means I need a antivir that no updating require but if there is how can I update this antivir to a no internet PC......

Antivirus [ 4 Answers ]

Hi pals I'm confused about selecting the antivirus for my PC ,can u tell me which is the best antivirus and also the best among the free antivirus softwares

AVG Antivirus Program [ 26 Answers ]

Hi, AVG Free Home Antivirus from Grisoft.com automatically scans incoming and also outgoing email using Outlook Express 6, POP3, SMPT email. When it scans outgoing email, it attaches it's advertising something similar to "This email is virus free by AVG". When the person receiving the email gets...

View more questions Search