Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mad Morticia Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 12, 2009, 07:04 PM
    How to set up Word 2007 to auto-fill text?
    I have search all over just to add a simple field or form to a template, that I can reuse in the documents I create. What I really want is a place-holder text called "Purchaser Name", and another called "Client Name", so that in a new document I could just click anywhere on "Purchaser Name" and "Client Name" (NOT select and type), fill in the names, and in the rest of the document where I placed the "Purchaser Name" and "Client Name" would automagically update/fill in.

I found an answer that works at How to set up Word to auto-paste/auto-fill text? - Yahoo! Answers, but it seems so convoluted to have to open the Document Properties, select the field and change the value for each new document. Any Word 2007 experts that can find a simpler way to accomplish this?

PS: The above link may help with the question asked "Creating a template in Word 2007 with auto-populate" in the thread: https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/word-p...te-245157.html. Perhaps it is too old to reply to it?

Cheers
    Mad Morticia
    PartyPope Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 17, 2010, 07:25 AM
    Hi Morticia,

I had a very same problem, and it was really really really annoying me. Lookeud up your links and they very really useless. So did little more searching and little trying and found a solution.

1. Activate empty space in ad document
    2. Go to Insert tab
    3. Click Quick Parts
    4. Click Document Property
    5. And there you have variety of different fields. F.e use manager for person name or whatever :) Click it.
    6. Now you have created field for "manager" what is equal everywhere in the document.
    7. Fill it with information you need (didn't see any restrictions there).
    NB! Be sure that after you typed your repiting text the "manager" field ends - if not it takes text from after your typing to other "manager" fields too.
    8. Now wherever you need reuse "manager" field just repeat the topics 1-5 and voilą you have same name now in new place too.

Enjoy!

Wbr,
    PartyPope
    Delegate Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 19, 2011, 02:01 PM
    Hi Wbr,
    Your post works, but when I lock the document, it only seems to work if I select the "manager" field first. If not, it is locked and can't be edited. Also once text in inserted it can't be changed. Any advise?
    -d
    kbrownrpm Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 11, 2012, 09:46 AM
    At the first appearance of your repeating data, insert a fill-in field, name it in the "Bookmark" field, and check "Calculate on exit".

All other appearances of the same data:
    Go to "Insert" - "Quick Parts" - "Field" - "Ref" - (select the appropriate bookmark name) - then select "Suppress all non-delimiter chars"

Once you enter the data in the first field, it should auto-populate into the other "Quick Parts" fields.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

MS WORD loss of text [ 2 Answers ]

I have lost the first five pages of a 30-page document, probably when 'somebody' put an object on the keyboard. I discovered the problem later and can only assume that the 'backspace' or 'delete' was pressed. Can anybody tell me if it is possible to recover the lost text from my hard disk please?...

Why won't text print in Word (Office 12) [ 3 Answers ]

I am trying to print but although text on screen won't show in print preview or print? Pauline :confused:

Creating a template in Word 2007 with auto-populate [ 4 Answers ]

In Word 2007, I am trying to create a fax cover sheet template that will auto-fill the user's name, title and email address. When Bob opens the template, it will auto-fill Bob Smith, Senior Manager, [email protected]. I do not want to create a template for each individual person. I want to have one...

2 W-2s for 2007. Best form to fill? [ 1 Answers ]

OK. Here goes the puzzle... Jan 05 - Entered USA with F1 Jan 07 - OPT started April 07 - Work started Oct 07 - Changed to H1B Oct 07 - Got married Spouse on H1B from Oct 06. (I understand that she is a resident alien as she passed the SPT and will be filing 1040 with married...

Auto fill [ 1 Answers ]

I entered info on auto fill incorrectly. I cannot figure out how to go back and correct it. Anyone know how to do this? It's a windows vista

View more questions Search