Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    K_2 Posts: 92, Reputation: 5

Nov 29, 2007, 01:24 PM
    Pentecostal Religion and Christmas/Santa Claus
    I don't mean to sound dumb and I searched online but couldn't find my answer. Can anyone tell me what Pentacostal beliefs are regarding Christmas, the idea of a Santa Claus to be more specific.

My sister and her husband are going through a divorce. They have a 2 yr old and have to agree on all major decisions, one being religion.

He has decided that he is Pentacostal(he goes a few times per month) and she(the 2yr old) can not believe in Santa Claus, but can celebrate Christmas. He also says that she can not celebrate Valentine's Day or believe in the Easter Bunny. These things are against his religion.

Thank you in advance for your help.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Nov 29, 2007, 01:27 PM
    On this page (scroll down) you'll see a couple of choices:
    Christian Denominations -- Beliefnet.com
    They have forums where you can ask your questions.

Nov 29, 2007, 01:31 PM
    I'm there but it said it was a read only forum. So, I asked here.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Nov 29, 2007, 01:31 PM
    I was raised pentacostal. Thank goodness my mom wasn't super hardore about everything and let us get by with something. But she never taught us to believe it what she considered fake or idol worshiping. No bunnies, no santa's, no t.v. cutting hair, palying cards, listening to music other than religious so many rules... no living basically, hope he is not hardcore. It is misery for the kids in my opinion. I would never raise my kids that way. But I have meet pentcosatl people in Ohio that are very different than the ones in the South, all of them do not have the same strictness.
    angel0772001 Posts: 233, Reputation: 7

Nov 29, 2007, 01:36 PM
    I honestly think that he is full of it and just wants to make the mother suffer, but in accuality he is just hurting the baby. She can believe in whatever she wants and she will. When she is with the mother they can do as they want and when she is with the father she can do as they want. But what an a$$
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 29, 2007, 02:37 PM
    OK, the idea of a white ( or black) fat man with a beard that breaks into your home on Chistmas eve and leaves gifts is not christian at all, it along with christmas trees and lights on homes are all man made and non religious in nature. There was a St Nick, who was a real man and did good for the poor and needy but not to everyone and not on christmas eve.

This was developed along with flying reigndeer as a advertising project.

But in realty I believe all christians should not have a santa and gifts from him but should let kids know where the gifts really come from.

But no pentacostals do not have santas, easter bunnies and other non christian items in their celebration of holidays.

And why do they have to agree, people in divorce don't agree with most anything. And if it is really pentalcostal he would not believe in divorce to start with?

But why are they suppose to agree, if they could do that they would not be getting a divorce, of course they are going to disagree over all sorts of things
    jonsey77 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 29, 2007, 02:49 PM
    I believe santa and the easter bunny are fine until the kids are old enough to know the difference... im a christian and I don't think fighting over it is healthy for the kids.. let them be kids until they grow up.. lifes hard enough.. :D... just my opinion...

Nov 29, 2007, 02:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck

And why do they have to agree, people in divorce don't agree with most anything. And if it is really pentalcostal he would not beleive in divorce to start with ??

But why are they suppose to agree, if they could do that they would not be getting a divorce, of course they are going to disagree over all sorts of thigns

They have to agree because the custody papers say that "Major decisions regarding the minor child must be agreed upon by BOTH parents" and then it goes on to list major decisions, one of which is religion. He says that he doesn't want child exposed to Santa Claus or made apart of her life. If they can not agree, then it has to go to mediation.

He is only trying to be an a$$. However, it has to be proved that this is his intentions. I read what I could find online about Pentecostal beliefs and haven't seen one yet that he practices.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Nov 29, 2007, 03:05 PM
    Having been a member of various Pentecostal churches I can tell you that some are a bit more lenient in celebrations - Assembly of God allows one to have a Christmas tree and exchange presents and decorate. The United Pentecostal Church says no to all of those. The Four Square Church also celebrates Christmas. Some of the independent non denominational Holiness churches come out strong against any sign of Christmas - calling the tradition of the Christmas tree a heathen practice, saying that man made the tree an idol to worship (decorating it in lights, etc).
    Edit: Jeremiah 10:2-4: "Thus saith the LORD, Learn not the way of the heathen, and be not dismayed at the signs of heaven; for the heathen are dismayed at them. For the customs of the people are vain: for one cutteth a tree out of the forest, the work of the hands of the workman, with the axe. They deck it with silver and with gold; they fasten it with nails and with hammers, that it move not." (KJV).

What is most important is that you follow what you led to do, after careful and considerate prayer about how you are to celebrate Christmas. If you make Christmas to be the crass commercial monstrosity the world makes it, what do you think? When you lose sight of reason for the celebration and can only focus on the trappings, where did the original intent go?

What I found to be almost humorous in some of the churches I belonged to, the ones where Christmas celebrations were banned, the pastors and their wives still expected a gift. Interesting, isn't it?

If this man is a Penetecostal, then he should be working on saving his marriage - divorce is a big NO. It sounds like he is applying what he wants and when he wants and forgetting the main issues. Also, if he is Pentecostal, he should be in church twice on Sundays and the mid week services plus any additional prayer services, etc. I am not impressed with this guy.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Nov 29, 2007, 03:09 PM
    If you want some specific information about a particular Pentecostal church, ask me. I will be glad to help as I can and if I can.
    Expert

Nov 29, 2007, 05:33 PM
    So they tell the judge they will not agree on this, the one parent tells the child there is no santa, so what does the other parent do.
    If one parent is going to tell the child the truth, the other has no choice but to live with it.

For example, my son has always know santa was not real, he still like santa, the excitement and fun of the holiday, he knows all gifts come from mom and dad, not from santa , but he still wants to sit on santa lap, and the such.

So if one parent is going to tell the truth, the other parant really has nothing else they can do except go along with it. But that does not mean there can't be trees, stockings and the such, so the other parent does not like it, tough

Nov 29, 2007, 08:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    so they tell the judge they will not agree on this, the one parent tells the child there is no santa, so what does the other parent do.
    if one parent is going to tell the child the truth, the other has no choice but to live with it.

For example, my son has always know santa was not real, he still like santa, the excitement and fun of the holiday, he knows all gifts come from mom and dad, not from santa , but he still wants to sit on santa lap, and the such.

So if one parent is going to tell the truth, the other parant really has nothing else they can do except go along with it. But that does not mean there can't be trees, stockings and the such, so the other parent does not like it, tough
    If it was only that easy. IF they can not come to an agreement, they must obtain 3 mediators name from the courthouse. Each one can mark one off and the remaining one is the one they go and see. The mediator makes the final call on what the decision is. So, if they do not agree and the mediator says that they are going with the dad's beliefs then the mom is not allowed to acknowledge there is a Santa or let her have anything to do with Santa, etc. If she does, and it is proven, it is contempt of court and vice versa if the mediator sides with the mom and the dad goes against the decision.

The dad says it is OK to have the tree, stockings, gifts, etc. Just not okay to include Santa because he is a mythical fairytale creature and his religion does not aknowledge that. Same with Easter, she can celebrate Easter, but the celebrations can not include the "easter bunny" or "egg hunt" because that has nothing to do with "Easter".

She can't be told about the toothfairy either. No fairytales. etc. etc. etc. It is all b/s and him being a jerk. He wasn't worried about his religious beliefs when he filed for divorce and lied all through out the papers. Or when he got his tattoos. Or when he smokes a cigarette, and the other things he smokes. Not even worried about it when he grew that facial hair.

From what I've read all those things are against his religion.

But, I thank all of you for your responses.
    Expert

Nov 29, 2007, 08:46 PM
    Tell court what they want to hear, then do what you want after divorce is final, that is what happens in real life anyway

The court can not because of division of church and state rule on religious beleifs and teachings, their lawyer is really dropping a ball here.

Of course we don't do toothefairy, santa, or easter bunnies, we have egg hunts, wrap gifts and I have even done a santa in my yard at christmas,
    So I do follow somewhat the mans beleifs, but the issue is the court can not, demand you change your teachings, you have the legal right to show the child your religious belifs also,

Get this lawyer on the ball, make him earn his money,
    kindj Posts: 253, Reputation: 105

Nov 30, 2007, 11:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by K_2
    I read what I could find online about Pentecostal beliefs and haven't seen one yet that he practices.
    And that is what I would advise the lady to do as well and she can bring that to the judge.

As far as the issue itself, I've seen Pentacostals of all flavorings. Some do go the totally hardcore route--usually with the best of intentions. Others choose the Pentacostal denomination for other reasons--they like the worship style, the preaching, whatever--but they don't fall in lockstep with others who are more strict.

I'd find me a local Pentacostal pastor or three and get their input on it, both in general and as it applies to this situation specifically. I'm not sure, but I'm almost willing to bet you'll get at least two different answers.
    buzzman Posts: 54, Reputation: 9

Nov 30, 2007, 11:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by K_2
    I don't mean to sound dumb and I searched online but couldn't find my answer. Can anyone tell me what Pentacostal beliefs are regarding Christmas, the idea of a Santa Claus to be more specific.

My sister and her husband are going through a divorce. They have a 2 yr old and have to agree on all major decisions, one being religion.

He has decided that he is Pentacostal(he goes a few times per month) and she(the 2yr old) can not believe in Santa Claus, but can celebrate Christmas. He also says that she can not celebrate Valentine's Day or believe in the Easter Bunny. These things are against his religion.

There is nothing saying that you cannot believe in Santa Clause in the Pentacostal faith. The problem usually stems from the roots of his upbringing. There are all sorts of people that do not understand properly, and often it gets misrepresented by others at the same time. The bible simply teaches that some people's faith allows them to eat just vegetables, others allow them to eat everything. God simply states that it is strictly personal. Whatever you do better be done with proper intentions, or your reward is in full. It cannot be done just because your parents said so. It has to be because you are being prompted. Only God knows the individual's heart. Whatever is on the inside will come out on the outside. If he is coming across extremely offending, this is not the spirit of God, it is his own opinion getting in the way. We all do it to a certain extent.
    savedsinner7 Posts: 412, Reputation: 52

Nov 30, 2007, 05:00 PM
    I don't understand why anyone would want to force a child to believe a myth anyway. Christmas is to celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ. Saint Nicholas was a man who gave items to the poor, not some magical fat man who comes down your chimney. Easter is to celebrate the death and Resurrection of Jesus Christ. Where did the bunny come from? I agree with the father. My kids know the Truth. I do not encourage perpetuating a lie.
    Nurisim Posts: 10, Reputation: 3

Feb 28, 2008, 11:04 PM
    I think that part of the confusion with whether Pentecostals celebrate Christmas (if you type this question into Google, one gets several competing messages), and/or allow their children to believe in Santa Claus, is because few people really realize the sheer number of "Pentecostal" churches. You really have to find out what sectarian group of Pentecostal he belongs to. For instance, the United Pentecostal Church is very legalistic, strict, and traditional in its views. Fist Assemblies of God, on the other hand, is very a mainstream and open church. You also have Oneness Pentecostals, and then Trinitarian Pentecostals, who vary GREATLY from one another. Some Pentecostals also call themselves Apostolic, which causes further confusion because Apostolic doctrine often differs again. Some of these churches readily and fervently celebrate Christmas and encourage their children to believe in Santa. Some do not celebrate Christmas at all.
    Really, I think you either need to go directly to his pastor, or get more info on exactly what church he goes to. Here is a list from wikipedia of Pentecostal churches List of Christian denominations - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Good Luck!
    tryingtobereal Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 25, 2010, 10:51 AM
    I am a person that attends an United Pentecostal Church. I have for the past 31 years, so perhaps I can be of help. I also as a child was Assembly of God.
    The organization of United Pentecostal Church Incorported does NOT declare it is a sin to have a tree, to let children believe in Santa Clause, to believe in the Easter Bunny, to celeberate Valentines Day.

There are pastors who have personal convictions that possibly discourage a tree in Christmas, to teach children about Santa or the Easter Bunny. I have lived in two different states, and have friends from all around the United States and also are missionaries.

On a personal note... the utmost important thing is a person's relationship with Jesus. Is it a consistent, growing, and active relationship with the Lord. This is beyond Sunday and midweek services. It is at home. Is there an altar of prayer in your home that you go to daily. Not a literal altar, but a place you and the Lord have a talk about not only yourself, but your family, friends, co workers, other people's need that you run into. It is where you ask for your daily direction from the Lord.

I agree divorce is wrong but when it does happen, and it does... the first thing to consider is not the ownership of the house, dog, cars, or how much income one is deserved.
    The utmost concern has to be the child. This will affect them the rest of their lives. During divorce there is so much pain and a desire sometimes for revenge, and to maintain control of what no longer will be in your control... However, if the person is truly Christ minded... He will allow the Lord to guide Him.. and not strain over a gnat when there is a bigger issue here... what will be planted in the child's heart. Will it be the love of God, and His mercy... and how we are to love everybody and treat everyone with kindness? Will it be the Word of God as the final authority or will it be with cutting down each other and making a child choose which parent to love the most?

If a person really wants to know what a faith believes, I would recommend to go to the UPCI.com website... to perhaps look on the church locator... even the church where this man goes and talk to his pastor.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Dec 27, 2010, 01:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by K_2 View Post

Without reading the other answers, Santa Claus, the universal provider, has no basis in Christianity, notwithstanding that the character is loosely based on an early Bishop who gave to the poor, Santa Claus as we know him is an invention of the Coca Cola company. We should avoid teaching children fables without telling them they are fables. If you want to teach your child about Christmas teach the child about Jesus birth and the importance of giving without expecting to receive. The Easter bunny is another fable which has no basis in Christianity and detracts from the very important message of the resurrection of Jesus
    Jam4theLamb Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 10, 2011, 04:48 PM
    As christians we must recognize the real reason for CHRISTmas. It isn't the gifts we receive from our imaginary friend named Santa who brings everyone gifts because they were good on christmas. But rather the celebrate the birth of Jesus, although he wasn't born on this day, we set aside a dad where we are thankful for all he has done in our lives. So TECHNICALLY the presents are from Jesus.

It's so sad how the world is trying to 'fit in'. Trying not to offend anyone. You walk in a store and they say "happy holidays" instead of "merry christmas". And now-a-days christmas trees are starting to be call "holiday trees". It's ridiculous. Santa and the easter bunny should be elliminated from christmas and easter. Those days are days we set aside to celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ!

Also, I'm pentecostal and I have no idea where he got the idea he can't celebrate Valentines day? You can celebrate whatever you want as a pentecostal but just ask yourself, "does this bring glory to THE ONLY one who deserves it?" Santa clause and the Easter Bunny ain't got nuthin on GOD! They won't get me to Heaven..

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Pentecostal god-parents? [ 9 Answers ]

K My Best Friend Of 5 Years Is Pregnant And She Wants Me To Be The God Mom But She Reciently Heard It Is Against Her Relgon Which Is Penicostal And I Was Wodnering If That Is True Or False Help Us We Want to Know Is Having A God Mom For Ur Child In The Penicostal Religon Is Against The Rules ...

Santa Baby? [ 20 Answers ]

I was wondering who sang Santa Baby, is it a Betty Boop song?

80's christmas cartoon title? Religion. Troll or Goblin [ 3 Answers ]

Tells the story of a little goblin or troll prince who isn't like the others and discovers the bible and learns the story of the christ-child. Can't find the title. Strong religious undertones but a heart warming tale.

Your Top Christmas Carols & Christmas Songs [ 38 Answers ]

Ok it's that time of year when the holidays are around :) and I was just thinking what are people's top Carols or Chritmas songs that they like? Christmas songs for me would be The Pogues, Fairytale of New York ;) and my Christmas Carol would have to be Joy To The World :) ! Please feel...

Santa baby [ 2 Answers ]

Who sang this song

View more questions Search