Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wickedbob Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 16, 2008, 09:33 PM
    Trane XE80 Blower Motor Kaput
    Had an AC salesman out today about replacing the upstairs unit. He was demonstrating "proper air flow" with the basement unit. He opened the furnace and the blower motor made a squealing noise when it came back on. He flicked the power off and then on again and the noise disappeared. He said it needed to be lubricated. He gave me a quote to put in a new system for the upstairs and left and I went out for a while and came back later in the evening to a hot house. Went in the basement, opened the face of the unit and it was humming and there was a smell of something being generally electrically not right. I let go of the safety switch and the noise went away. Pressed it and the noise returned... the fan's drum didn't turn either time. I pressed the switch again and spun the fan drum by hand and it started up, ran for about a minute and a half and then came to a stop with a hum.

Now, I proved with an earlier question that I have limited knowledge of the HVAC world. But my un-expert opinion is that the fan motor is bad (and, amazingly, so is the one in the attic). I just bought this house and the prior owners, it seems, didn't take very good care of the systems. So... does it sound likely that it's the motor? If so, where does one buy a replacement motor? While I realize now that working on a compressor is WAY over my head, sliding a motor out and sliding a new one in is usually a straightforward task regardless of what you're working on.

Thanks in advance.

- Roasting in Atlanta
    westnlas Posts: 322, Reputation: 25

Jun 16, 2008, 09:59 PM
    Try "www.myhvacparts.com" When I try to paste the link there is an ad for AC repair contractors. LOL Anyway these guys sell the parts.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jun 16, 2008, 11:31 PM
    You might try replacing the run capacitor on the blower motor before you replace it.

Is this a belt drive or direct drive?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Blower motor of Trane XE80 furnace won't start [ 8 Answers ]

I have a Trane XE80 gas furnace. The purge motor and burner go on, but main motor won't run. LED flashing light flashes continuously when burner is on however, when the burner shuts off, the LED light flashes 4 times at an interval. I tried to look for a reset button on the main blower motor but...

Trane XE80 [ 1 Answers ]

My 10 year old Trane XE80 in my woodworking shop lately cannot put out enough heat to satisfy the thermostat, which yesterday was set at 72 degrees on a 37 degree day. The steel building is completely insulated, and this has never happened before at this outside temperature. The furnace seems to...

Trane XE80 Won't Start [ 1 Answers ]

My thermostat calls for heat, but the blower just comes on and blows air. No heat until I go down and manually restart the furnace. Any suggestions?

GE Ice Dispenser motor kaput! [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 2 year old GE GSS20I model fridge. Ice dispenser on door doesn't come on. We have checked to see if there is an obstruction or a frozen part (in a freezer!) but no luck. Doesn't "whir" or anything. Is there a fuse? GE wants to send a guy out instead of talking to me over the phone....

Squeaky Trane Blower Motor [ 1 Answers ]

Noticed last night that my Trane furnace was squeaking like a cricket when the air conditioner was running. Then every so often it would make an awful squealing sound like maybe a motor was getting stuck and unable to turn. From reading other posts I'm guessing that I might have a bearing or belt...

View more questions Search