Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    abbi-melissa Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Jun 20, 2007, 02:57 PM
    How to get shiny shiny shoes!
    Hello everyone, my boyfriend recently joined the navy and is having a little trouble making his shoes look extra shiny again evry night, I wondered if anyone out there had any really good tips to shine shoes up good and new? I would be grateful for any help, thanks abbi-melissa x
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jun 20, 2007, 03:05 PM
    Ask him to visit here to find out best way:

eHow | How To Do Just About Everything!
    cornedbeef Posts: 152, Reputation: 4

Aug 6, 2007, 07:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by abbi-melissa
    hello everyone, my boyfriend recently joined the navy and is having a little trouble making his shoes look extra shiny again evry night, i wondered if anyone out there had any really good tips to shine shoes up good and new? i would be grateful for any help, thanks abbi-melissa x
    Hi, surely he could ask the advice of some old hands or before he next goes on parade, watch the others. If he can't he needs to practise using parade gloss polish from any good shoe shop. Get a small bowl of warm water and a good polishing cloth.and the polish. Rub in a small amount of polish using small circular movements rapidly. Keep rubbing for a minute or so until the polish starts to shine. Next do the same with a dip of the cloth in the water for the same amount of time. Then repeat this process for as long as it takes to obtain a build up of the polish and a mirror like shine. Depending on effort it should take an hour or so the first time. After that not so long because you have the build up of polish already there. Hope this is of help. Richard.
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Aug 8, 2007, 05:16 PM
    A Quick "cheaters" Shine Is To Rub The Shoes Down With Plain Ole Vasoline, Wipe Off Excess, Then Use A Cloth Or Coarse, Medium, Then Fine Haired Brushes And Buff The Fire Out Of Them. A Word Of Caution, The Vaseline Can Cause Dust To Stick To The Shoes A Little.
    coolcarskb Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 1, 2009, 02:50 PM
    OK, I am in the Air Force Auxiliary, and here is how we shine our boots without Parade gloss. The theory is any civilian can use parade gloss, but it takes a true military person to use normal wax:

1) take a whole mess of cotton balls
    2) dunk one of them in water
    3) squeeze some water out
    4) apply a bit of wax to the cotton ball
    5) make little circles around the area you are shining. Go one area at a time, i.e toe, then heel, then left, right, etc.
    6) wait a minute or so for the wax to dry
    7) take another cotton ball and get it wet
    8) make circles with the wet cotton ball until the water evaporates and dries the wax to a shine. Repeat as necessary
    9) for every six coats of black wax, apply a coat of neutral wax in the same way

I recommend Kiwi wax. NOT PARADE GLOSS. Also, use 100% cotton, not cotton/polyester, it scratches the shoes up really bad.

Hope I helped
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Apr 1, 2009, 09:45 PM

Most of the personnel in the Air Force, after basic training, are wearing patent leather. When not wearing them, keep them in a sock. Don't leave them outside your locker with the sock on.

Good luck

Chuck
    mazak Posts: 148, Reputation: 5

Apr 5, 2009, 06:54 AM

When I was in the marines,the shoes might have been patent leather,but I'm not sure of the spelling,choroframs? Super shiney all the time. Also anodized brass,saves a lot of time polishing,his brass.its always shiney as well.if he is in boot camp a soft ,cloth such as a baby diaper,works well.

Wipe the shoes off,then apply some polish to them.then take the cloth and vigorously go back and forth on the shoe.its quick and produces an awesome shine.
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Apr 8, 2009, 02:59 AM
    As a former squid(he knows what it means), in Boot Camp we had three versions that produced black mirrors: the "spit shine"; which is the wax/water method mentioned above, the "melt down"; which sets the wax on fire to melt it and burn off the excess oil then apply it as a liquid, and the "break down"; where you scrub the shoes until the dye is out and apply shoe polish to bare leather, coat after coat after coat. The spit shine lasted maybe a day. The melt down you could do Friday for a Monday morning inspection. The break down would last a week between coats.
    Never Again Volunteer Yourself
    idcjnudcnudenc Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 26, 2010, 02:21 PM
    My advice is to wear away the area desired to shine i.e. use sanding paper. After you have done that, apply polish on the shoe using the SPIT & SHINE method. Sanding down the shoe will get rid of any of the unnatural leather which will reduce the shining capabilities of the leather. Applying the spit/shine method will express more, now that it is pure leather and polish together. Not all shoes are designed to give an extremely shiny shine, and that's why there is normally this protective layer of unnatural leather. Getting rid of it will enhance the shin and reduce the time spent on making it mirror shined. Hope this helps :P
    idcjnudcnudenc Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 26, 2010, 02:21 PM
    My advice is to wear away the area desired to shine i.e. use sanding paper. After you have done that, apply polish on the shoe using the SPIT & SHINE method. Sanding down the shoe will get rid of any of the unnatural leather which will reduce the shining capabilities of the leather. Applying the spit/shine method will express more, now that it is pure leather and polish together. Not all shoes are designed to give an extremely shiny shine, and that's why there is normally this protective layer of unnatural leather. Getting rid of it will enhance the shin and reduce the time spent on making it mirror shined. Hope this helps :P
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jun 26, 2010, 04:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by idcjnudcnudenc View Post
    My Getting rid of it will enhance the shin and reduce the time spent on making it mirror shined. Hope this helps :P
    Love your advice, your screen name leaves a lot to be desired. Its nice to see a screen name that one can read and actually understand otherwise it is real joke here. AMHD isn't a joke and I don't appreciate 'idcjinudcnudenc' as your sign in name. Also this thread is from 2007.

Ms tick
    Kelsey Clinkerz Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jun 7, 2012, 04:30 PM
    As a cadet, we are constantly asked to improve our boots. My advice, is to strip them, or remove all the polish with hot water and boot brush, and put on a thick layer of polish. Let the polish sit for 15 minutes, and remove it using water, then repeat this step 3 more times. After the 4 base coats, only put a little bit of polish on your polishing cloth and polish in a quick, circular motion. If all else fails, you can always take an old pair of nylons, and quickly buff the boots. This will produce a shine, but it will take some time to get the boots shiny again afterwards.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Shoes in the house [ 33 Answers ]

Hi! I have been looking forever on the internet for an answer, but haven't been successful... maybe you can help. We are getting new carpet tomorrow and we do not wear our shoes in the house... but, when we have company, they will come in with the nastiest shoes you've ever seen! How can I let...

Jumpsoles shoes [ 2 Answers ]

I am about to buy jumpsoles to increase my vertical. Does anyone know if they really work?

Shoes storage [ 1 Answers ]

Have thousands shoes and how do you make your own shoes storage like shoe hanger ? Cloth backing with clear vinyl pockets to put shoes in , how do you make clear vinyl pockets with staple? Or sew? Prefer not use hot glue or glue because not healthy.

Shiny hair [ 2 Answers ]

How can I make my hair really really shiney, without wahing it loads as my colour will fade? X

Bags and shoes [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, Hey want to know that what are the latest style of bags hand bags which are in almost... and shoes too are there high heel in fashion or low which are in . Thanks...

View more questions Search