Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    redswrld2u Posts: 29, Reputation: 2

Oct 26, 2013, 09:49 PM
    Can a homeless parent come take his kid from me?
    my daughter has full custody of her two children. she recently moved to nc. I live in calif. she wants the kids to come stay with me for awhile. if the bio father, whom has no residence or legal custody, and never has paid child support, could he come and just take his kids from me just because he is the father? even if my daughter draws up a contract stating that I have full authority in the decisions made regarding kids? if he was to find out they are here and call cops would I be forced to let give the kids to him?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 27, 2013, 05:59 AM
    No. As long as you have a letter from the mother with a copy of the custody order, you can refuse to turn them over to him. If he calls the police, you just show them your documentation.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Oct 27, 2013, 06:10 AM
    When you make the statement that she has full custody are you also saying that she has been through the courts and it was signed by a judge? If not and if the father is on the birth certificate then it may be possible that he comes and takes the child/children. Was proper custody granted by a judge?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Oct 27, 2013, 06:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by cdad View Post
    When you make the statement that she has full custody are you also saying that she has been through the courts and it was signed by a judge? If not and if the father is on the birth certificate then it may be possible that he comes and takes the child/children. Was proper custody granted by a judge?
    Unless there is a custody order, OP's assumption that the mother "has full custody" is probably incorrect. In general, without such a court order, both parents share full custody.

On the other hand, to answer OP's question "would I be forced to let give the kids to him? (sic)", by the police; probably not. The police do not have the power to order OP to do anything unless a crime is being committed. Caring for one's grandchildren with permission from their mother is not a crime. The father would have to get a court order.

Oct 27, 2013, 09:51 AM
    Yes they have been through the courts. She even has a lawyer that was hired to do the divorce and I think draw up papers for visitation and rules about children..

Oct 27, 2013, 09:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by redswrld2u View Post
    Yes they have been through the courts. She even has a lawyer that was hired to do the divorce and I think draw up papers for visitation and rules about children..
    I just wanted to make sure that the cops wouldn't make me hand over kids that would devistate me and their mother.. he is known for calling cops about everything. She has a restrainting order and he has went to jail for violating it.. I just don't want the kids to go through anymore drama.

Oct 27, 2013, 09:55 AM
    I just wanted to make sure that the cops wouldn't make me hand over kids that would devistate me and their mother.. he is known for calling cops about everything. She has a restrainting order and he has went to jail for violating it.. I just don't want the kids to go through anymore drama.
    I don't see where I responded about the courts saying yes they have been through the courts..

Oct 27, 2013, 09:56 AM
    I don't see where I responded about the courts saying yes they have been through the courts..
    hmmm... for some reason these reply's isn't coming together.. I'm kind of new at this
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Oct 27, 2013, 09:59 AM
    So what are the rules about visitation? And leaving the state? You need to see a copy and read it yourself, for your own peace of mind about getting this right.

Oct 27, 2013, 09:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by AK lawyer View Post
    Unless there is a custody order, OP's assumption that the mother "has full custody" is probably incorrect. In general, without such a court order, both parents share full custody.

On the other hand, to answer OP's question "would I be forced to let give the kids to him? (sic)", by the police; probably not. The police do not have the power to order OP to do anything unless a crime is being committed. Caring for one's grandchildren with permission from their mother is not a crime. The father would have to get a court order.
    Thank you all you have been very helpful... I will call her and have her draw up a contract with me and send me copies of court orders... thanks again . This is a great site. ;)

Oct 27, 2013, 10:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    No. As long as you have a letter from the mother with a copy of the custody order, you can refuse to turn them over to him. If he calls the police, you just show them your documentation.
    Yes I am hoping you are right.. I will get documentation.. thank you so much.

Oct 27, 2013, 10:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    So what are the rules about visitation? And leaving the state? You need to see a copy and read it yourself, for your own peace of mind about getting this right.
    I think that he has 2 days a week to visit... but last time he had them he got drunk, which is in the rules no drinking, and didn't know their mom had come and got them.. he called her 3 hrs later screaming and demanding to know where his kids were.. and this was all from a motel room... unreal =/
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Oct 27, 2013, 10:11 AM
    I think that he has 2 days a week to visit... but last time he had them he got drunk, which is in the rules no drinking, and didn't know their mom had come and got them.. he called her 3 hrs later screaming and demanding to know where his kids were.. and this was all from a motel room... unreal =/
    If he has 2 days per week and she is sending them out of State without telling him then there could be trouble. She can be interfering with his visitation. She has to be careful with this. She needs to notify him of what is going on and what the plans are.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 27, 2013, 10:57 AM
    Not sure what problems you were having posting. They all seem to have gone through.

The only problem I see here is if he has some visitation rights and the children are with you when he is scheduled to visit, he could cause problems for the mother about interfering with his visitation rights.

But I do not see him having any rights to take the children from you.

Oct 28, 2013, 05:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cdad View Post
    If he has 2 days per week and she is sending them out of State without telling him then there could be trouble. She can be interfering with his visitation. She has to be careful with this. She needs to notify him of what is going on and what the plans are.
    Yeah she contacted her lawyer and told him and she has been letting dad talk to kids on his days.. that is when he calls... I know it's a sticky situation...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My kid is in GATE but its still not challenging enough. Where can I get my kid tested [ 2 Answers ]

Hi my name is jennifer, My child is in fifth grade, and is in the GATE program. But its not challenging enough for him. He is always complaining that the other students never understand him, and he wants to learn college assignments instead. Please please help me. I don't know what to do or where...

At what age can a kid decide what parent to live with? [ 3 Answers ]

If a parent is verbally abusive, can a 14 year old child choose to live with the other parent if they have joint custody?

Girlfriend wants to take my kid to Ohio and leave ? How can I keep custidy of my kid [ 13 Answers ]

I live in Florida and my girlfriend keeps threatening to take our son and leave me to go back to Ohio. How can I stop her from taking my child out of state? What are my rights?

About to be homeless [ 2 Answers ]

I need someone to tell me the Florida law on home forclosures, my home went to actution on the 9th how long do I have until we get thrown out?

Parent legal right to kick out a 22 yo kid [ 2 Answers ]

Can a parent kick out her 22 yo son, and have the police enforce him not coming back. He has no job, and a drug history

View more questions Search