Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    driedout Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Feb 13, 2010, 08:59 PM
    120 volts at heater element
    I have a Kenmore Elite Dryer, everything works fine but NO HEAT. I had an appliance repair man come out 3 times but as soon as he left, the heat never came on. He changed the heater element first, all thermostats and thermister... I went and got the wiring diagram, everything checks out OK but only got 120 volts going into the heating element. It's a 240 volt dryer and the fuse box is fine and I get 240VAC at the outlet.
    I also cleaned out vent hose and checked out roof vent as well. No llint inside the dryer as I cleaned all that as well. RUNNING OT OF IDEAS... PLEASE HELP!

DRIED OUT
    parttime Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 113
    Ultra Member

Feb 14, 2010, 12:58 AM

Driedout, 120 volts is suppose to be at the heating element . Did you check the element for continuity? If the elements getting 120 volts it should make heat, useless it's burnt into or grounded against metal.
    Ultra Member

Feb 14, 2010, 01:09 AM

Dryer won't Heat!

This may help, and you can order the any parts you may need here. Good luck
    driedout Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Feb 14, 2010, 11:38 PM

Thanks parttime, I did check out your link, As I was told on the electric dryer, you are supposed to get 240 VAC in order for the heating element to work. 120 V will run the dryer as normal without any heat. Please post any other ideas you may have, at this point everything behind the kick panel has been checked out and cleaned and us working according to the factory specs. The only other option could be somewhere in the control panel or a burnt out wire. So my next step is to start at the wall outlet and trace it backwards.
    Ultra Member

Feb 15, 2010, 04:57 AM

Driedout, what is the model # of the dryer? Roof vents for dryer are not good, does it have a booster fan? I would pull the dryer out and run it and see if it gets hot. Be careful, electricity will kill.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Stratmando, thanks I don't have 120 volts between Hot and Neutral. I have 120 volts [ 2 Answers ]

Stratmando, thanks I don't have 120 volts between Hot and Neutral. I have 120 volts between hot and ground Also have 120 volts between Neutral and ground How far in the wiring do these types of problems reach into the wall?

Replace a water heater 120 element with a 220 element with proper wiring [ 4 Answers ]

Can I use a 220 heating element in a 110 water heater as long as the wiring is for 220. We had a 40 gal water heater 220 volts in a weekend cabin with one shower a complete over kill. Want to replace with a 20 gal 110 water heater but to take advantage of the 220 wiring can I just swap out the...

140 volts after new outlets were put in, 120 before? [ 10 Answers ]

I just replaced two old outlets with two new ones. I wired them exactly as they were wired originally. When I returned the power to the circuit the voltage is 140 when originally it was 120. What did I do wrong? I tightened everything and rechecked the connections. Will I burn up appliances...

220 volts to 120 volts [ 5 Answers ]

I currently have a 220 volt/30 amp service to an electric washer/dryer combination. The washer/dryer broke down and I will be switching to individual units each requiring a 120 volt/15-20 amp supply suggesting a separate circuit. The current unit had a four wire configuration (2 hot -...

120 volts vs 240 volts tools [ 3 Answers ]

How do I configure a 120 volts 60hz woodworking tools bought in the usa to work on a 240 volts 50hz power rating in my country without having to compromise the motor operation. I understand that the stepdown transformer can only reduce the voltage but not the cycles. That means that a tool with...

View more questions Search